Centripetal Force: Solving with Tension in a Cylinder

In summary, the homework statement asks what physical object is exerting the force on the riders in the amusement park ride. The physical object is the tension in the ride's wires. If the riders' vertical velocity is zero (they're not falling or rising), then their acceleration and thus the vertical force must be equal to the gravitational force.
raman911

Homework Statement

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/7830/scan0001ym3.png

The Attempt at a Solution

A)
i think force of Tension give them necessary centripetal force directed toward the center of the cylinder.

C)
Centripetal Force

Plz help me

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can Any One Help Me?

I Am Wating From Last Hour

Plz Help Me

Plz Help Me

Can Any One Help Me?

First, please, please, do not self bump like this.
Second, for part A it is asking what physical object is exerting the force.
Part B: If the riders vertical velocity is zero (they're not falling or rising) and that doesn't change, what must be true of their acceleration and thus the vertical force?
Part C: Centripetal force is perpendicular to gravity here. Think what is happening between the person and the ride. (Read Part E for a hint)

what to do in d ?

Can Any One Help Me?

what to do in d ?

please help hurry its due after 3 hours

For D, draw a Free body diagram. Just draw the force vectors that act on a person. Please don't keep bumping this.

PiratePhysicist said:
For D, draw a Free body diagram. Just draw the force vectors that act on a person. Please don't keep bumping this.
than u . can u help me in e. what formula i need to use in e.

Well, in this case we need a frictional force equal to the gravitational force (atleast). And a frictional force is dependent on the normal force, which in this case will be the centripetal force. So:
[tex]F_f=F_g[/tex]

[tex]\mu F_C=F_g[/tex]

[tex]\mu m \omega r = mg[/tex]

[tex]\mu \omega r = g[/tex]

[tex]\omega = \frac{g}{\mu r}[/tex]

Then you just need to convert the angular frequency to a frequency using
[tex]\omega = 2 \pi f[/tex]

what is w is that v^2

[tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular velocity:
[tex]\omega = \frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

PiratePhysicist said:
[tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular velocity:
[tex]\omega = \frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]
ok

[tex]\mu m \omega r = mg[/tex]

why u wrote one more r

Whoops, I typo'ed twice
It's:
[tex]\omega = \frac{v}{r}[/tex]
and
[tex]F_c=m\frac{v^2}{r}=m\omega^2 r[/tex]
So
[tex]\mu m\omega^2r=mg[/tex]
[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{\mu r}}[/tex]

please hep

1. What is centripetal force and how does it relate to tension in a cylinder?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directing the object towards the center of the circle. In the case of a cylinder, the tension in the cylinder acts as the centripetal force, keeping the object moving in a circular path.

2. How do you calculate the tension in a cylinder to maintain a circular motion?

The centripetal force equation is used to calculate the tension in a cylinder to maintain circular motion. The equation is T = (mv^2)/r, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What happens if the tension in a cylinder is too low to maintain circular motion?

If the tension in a cylinder is too low, the object will not be able to maintain circular motion and will move in a straight line tangentially to the circle. This is because there is not enough force acting towards the center of the circle to keep the object moving in a circular path.

4. Can the tension in a cylinder be adjusted to change the speed of the object?

Yes, the tension in a cylinder can be adjusted to change the speed of the object. As the tension increases, the speed of the object will also increase, and vice versa. This is because the centripetal force, which is dependent on tension, is directly proportional to the speed of the object.

5. Are there any real-world applications of centripetal force and tension in a cylinder?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of centripetal force and tension in a cylinder. Examples include amusement park rides, such as roller coasters and Ferris wheels, where the tension in the ride's structure keeps the riders moving in a circular path. Another example is in car racing, where the tension in the tires helps keep the car moving in a circular path around the track.