Why Does a Falling Particle Take 9/11 of Total Time to Cover Half the Distance?

• Thread starter PiratePhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a particle falling to Earth from a great height, neglecting air resistance. The solution involves using the equations F=\frac{-G M_e m}{r^2} and a=\frac{\partial v}{\partial r}*v=\frac{dv}{dt}, and integrating to find the time it takes for the particle to traverse the first half of the distance. The process is complicated and involves a tangent and an infinity, but can be solved using the chain rule.
PiratePhysicist
1. Problem: A particle falls to Earth starting from rest at a great height (may times Earth's radius ). Neglect air resistance and show that the particle requires approximately 9/11 of the total time of fall to traverse the first half of the distance.

Homework Equations

[tex]F=\frac{-G M_e m}{r^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]F=\frac{-G M_e m}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex]a=\frac{-G M_e}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial r} v = \frac{-G M_e}{r^2}[/tex]
seperate and integrate
[tex]
\frac{1}{2}v^2=\frac{G M_e}{r}+K[/tex]
[tex]v^2 = \frac{2G M_e}{r}+K[/tex]
[tex]v^2(r_0)=\frac{2G M_e}{r_0}+K=0[/tex]
[tex]v^2=2G M_e \( \frac{1}{r}-\frac{1}{r_0}\)[/tex]
Then take square root, replace v with the time derivative of r, separate and integrate and you get this mess:
[tex]\int{\sqrt{\frac{r_0 r}{r_0-r}}\partial r}=\sqrt{G M_e}t[/tex]
Which comes out to having a tangent in it, and in general very messy. Also when you plug the two values [tex]r_0[/tex] and 0, you wind up with an infinity. So any ideas where I went wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure a=(dv/dt)v?

It's not a = (dv/dt)v, it's a=(dv/dr)v
[tex] a = \frac{\partial v}{\partial r}*\frac{\partial r}{\partial t} = \frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]
Chain rule!

Okay, sorry. Couldn't make out the r on this old computer monitor.

1. Why is my math not giving me the correct answer?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a mistake in your calculation or a misunderstanding of the mathematical concept. It's also possible that there is an error in the formula or equation you are using. Double check your work and review the mathematical principles to ensure accuracy.

2. My calculator is giving me different answers than my textbook. Which one is correct?

Both could be correct, depending on how the problem was solved. Textbooks often use simplified versions of formulas, while calculators use more precise calculations. It's important to understand the principles behind the problem and use the appropriate formula or method for solving it.

3. I keep getting an error message on my computer when I try to do math problems. What does this mean?

The error message could indicate a problem with the computer program or software you are using. Try closing and reopening the program or using a different program to see if the error persists. It could also be an issue with the input or the formula being used.

4. Why do I need to learn math if I can just use a calculator or computer program?

While technology can help with calculations, it's still important to have a basic understanding of math concepts. This allows you to verify the accuracy of the results and understand the underlying principles. It also helps with problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

5. I struggle with math and never seem to get it right. What can I do to improve?

Math can be challenging, but with practice and perseverance, you can improve your skills. Seek help from a teacher or tutor, practice regularly, and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are also many online resources and educational programs available to help you improve your math abilities.