Single slit single electron

In summary, when a single electron with a de Broglie wavelength passes through a slit of width d=2λ, it can strike a fluorescent screen. The observed result on the screen will be a single flash that would most likely occur where a corresponding diffraction pattern would have the highest intensity, based on the equation a sinθ=λ. This is the correct answer, as confirmed by Eugene.
neelakash

Homework Statement

A single electron with de Broglie wavelength λ passes through a slit of width d=2λ.The electron can strike a fluorescent screen.What will be observed on the screen?

(a)a diffraction pattern
(b)a single flash as if the electron had moved in a straight line through the slit.
(c)a single flash that could occur anywhere on the screen.
(d)a single flash that would most likely occur where a corresponding diffraction pattern would have the highest intensity.

Homework Equations

a sinθ=λ

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)clearly wrong
(b)wrong as electron must have interacted with the slit
(c)It seems incorrect as it means that the flash can occur even at a remote end of the screen also where the electron may not possily reach...
(d)looks correct to me...

Please let me know if I am correct

Physics news on Phys.org
neelakash said:
Please let me know if I am correct

Yes, you are correct.

Eugene.

1. What is the single slit single electron experiment?

The single slit single electron experiment is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics that involves passing a single electron through a single slit and observing its resulting pattern on a screen. This experiment is used to demonstrate the wave-like behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. How is the single slit single electron experiment set up?

In the experiment, a single electron is emitted from a source and passes through a narrow slit. The electron then creates an interference pattern on a screen placed behind the slit. The pattern is formed due to the electron's wave-like nature, causing it to diffract and interfere with itself.

3. What does the interference pattern in the single slit single electron experiment look like?

The interference pattern consists of a central bright band, with alternating dark and light bands on either side. The width of the bands decreases as they move away from the central band, indicating decreasing intensity of the interference pattern.

4. How does the single slit single electron experiment support the wave-particle duality theory?

The single slit single electron experiment supports the wave-particle duality theory by demonstrating that particles, such as electrons, can behave like waves and exhibit interference patterns. This duality means that particles have both wave-like and particle-like properties, depending on how they are observed or measured.

5. What are the real-world applications of the single slit single electron experiment?

The single slit single electron experiment has implications in various fields, including quantum computing and cryptography. It also helps scientists understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level, which is crucial for advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.