Finding the second derivative of multvariable function

In summary, to find the second derivatives of z with respect to x and t, we first find the first derivatives with respect to u, and then use the chain rule to differentiate again with respect to x and t, respectively. The final results are \frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial u^2} and \frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial t^2}= v^2 * \frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial u^2}.
newguy1234
Hello I am trying to figure out the second derivative of

[tex] \frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial x^2}[/tex] and [tex] \frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

z(u) and u=x-vt

i found the first derivate of [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex] to be
[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex]= [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial u}[/tex] * [tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex] = [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial u}[/tex] *1

and

[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial t}[/tex] = [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial u}[/tex] * [tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/tex]= [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial u}[/tex]*v

after this i am clueless on how to compute
([tex] \frac{\partial }{\partial t}[/tex])[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial u}[/tex]*v
and
([tex] \frac{\partial }{\partial x}[/tex])[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial u}[/tex]*1

i am new here am hoping to receive some help i will greatly appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to say that z(u)=x-vt?

i guess the answer should be for [tex] \frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial t^2}[/tex] = v^2 * [tex] \frac{\partial^2t }{\partial u^2}[/tex]

im not sure at all how to get this tho any help?

i guess I am trying to say that z is a function of u and u is a function of x and t

newguy1234 said:
Hello I am trying to figure out the second derivative of

[tex] \frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial x^2}[/tex] and [tex] \frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

z(u) and u=x-vt

i found the first derivate of [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex] to be
[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex]= [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial u}[/tex] * [tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex] = [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial u}[/tex] *1

and

[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial t}[/tex] = [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial u}[/tex] * [tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/tex]= [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial u}[/tex]*v
No, since u= x- vt, [itex]\partial u/\partial t= -v[/itex], not v.

after this i am clueless on how to compute
([tex] \frac{\partial }{\partial t}[/tex])[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial u}[/tex]*v
and
([tex] \frac{\partial }{\partial x}[/tex])[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial u}[/tex]*1

i am new here am hoping to receive some help i will greatly appreciate it!
The "v" and "1" are constants. So you are just differentiating a function of x and t again:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{\partial z}{\partial u}= \frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial u^2}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex]
and, of course, [itex]\partial u/\partial x[/itex] is 1.

Likewise
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\frac{\partial z}{\partial u}= \frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial u^2}\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/tex]
and [itex]\partial u/\partial t[/itex] is -v.

What is the second derivative of a multivariable function?

The second derivative of a multivariable function is a measure of the rate of change of the first derivative with respect to a second variable. It describes the curvature and concavity of the function.

How do you find the second derivative of a multivariable function?

To find the second derivative of a multivariable function, you need to first calculate the first derivative with respect to one variable, and then take the derivative of that result with respect to another variable. This can be done using the chain rule or the partial derivative method.

What is the significance of the second derivative in multivariable calculus?

The second derivative helps to determine the critical points, inflection points, and the overall shape of a multivariable function. It can also be used to find the minimum or maximum values of a function.

Can the second derivative of a multivariable function be negative?

Yes, the second derivative of a multivariable function can be negative. This indicates that the function is concave down and has a maximum value at that point.

Is the second derivative of a multivariable function always continuous?

No, the second derivative of a multivariable function may not always be continuous. It can have discontinuities at points where the function is not differentiable or has sharp changes in curvature.