Is this sufficient for a relation to be transitive

• Thread starter matticus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, the book discusses a set S={0,1,2,3} and a relation R where (m,n) \in R if m + n = 3, m,n \in S. It notes that this relation is not transitive, but it is possible to argue for transitivity using a vacuous argument. However, upon closer examination, it is clear that the statement if (x,y) and (y,z) are in S then (x,z) is in S is not always true. This is exemplified by the fact that (0,3) and (3,0) are both in R, but (0,0) is not. The misunderstanding may have been caused by assuming that
matticus
in the book I'm reading it gives a set S={0,1,2,3}, and it says that the relation R where (m,n) [tex]\in[/tex] R if m + n = 3, m,n [tex]\in[/tex] S.

it says that this relation isn't transitive, but couldn't you give a vacuous argument for transitivity.

more specifically there are no x,y,z s.t. (x,y) and (y,z) are elements of the S, therefore the statement
if (x,y) and (y,z) are in S then (x,z) is in S should be true, right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
(0,3) and (3,0) are both in R, but (0,0) is not.

thanks, i don't know how i missed that. i must have had myself fooled that the 3rd number had to be unique from the first, when clearly it doesn't.

1. What is a transitive relation?

A transitive relation is a mathematical concept where if two elements are related, and the second element is also related to a third element, then the first element is also related to the third element. In other words, if A is related to B and B is related to C, then A is also related to C.

2. What does it mean for a relation to be transitive?

For a relation to be transitive, it must follow the transitive property. This means that if there is a chain of relationships between elements, the relation must hold true for all elements in the chain. In other words, if A is related to B and B is related to C, then A must also be related to C for the relation to be transitive.

3. Can a relation be transitive if it is not reflexive?

Yes, a relation can be transitive even if it is not reflexive. The transitive property only requires that if A is related to B and B is related to C, then A is also related to C. It does not require that A is related to itself, which is what reflexivity entails.

4. Is transitivity a necessary property for all relations?

No, transitivity is not a necessary property for all relations. There are some relations, such as partial orders, that do not follow the transitive property. However, transitivity is an important property for many mathematical concepts and is commonly used in various fields of science.

5. How can I determine if a relation is transitive?

To determine if a relation is transitive, you must check if the relation holds true for all elements in a chain of relationships. This means that if A is related to B and B is related to C, then A must also be related to C. If this property holds true for all elements, then the relation is transitive.