Why do a lot of senior physics majors struggle with quantum mechanics?

In summary: I think it's more a matter of not being used to the intuitive concepts of quantum mechanics. I struggled with probability dominating determinism at first, but after a while I got used to it. However, a lot of people seem to have a lot of trouble with it.
Benzoate
How much will linear algebra helped you with quantum mechanics? How difficult is quantum mechanics compared to the rest of the physics courses you take as a physics majors. Do most of you struggle with grasping the new intuitive concepts like probability dominating determinism rather than the mathematical aspects of quantum mechanics.

Tell me what will I expect from this course. Because I do not have a problem understanding that their are a different set of physical laws for the macroscopic universe and the subatomic realm. I do not see why quantum mechanics for senior physics majors would be so difficult compared to classical mechanics and electrodynamics

Physics news on Phys.org
Inadequate mathematical preparation. There are also a number of different views as to the ideal ordering of topics so as not to confuse students further. There's also the issue of it being a wee bit counterintuitive at first, but that goes away quickly (or not).

What would be adequate mathematical preparation? By the time I take QM 1 I should have taken: Calculus 1-3, Differential Equations, Abstract Vector Spaces (basically a rigorous linear algebra class since they teach us LA in Calc 2), and Complex Analysis, and I will be taking Partial Differential Equations 1 and Differential Geometry at the same time as QM. Would this be adequate preparation or should I try to fit in more (or different) math by then?

Hell if I know, but people seemed to have a lot of trouble with the math. I only had a year of calculus, and I thought the quantum stuff was pretty easy.

I'd say your fine Monocles.

Your math preparation seems fine. I'm currently in a quantum course, and I can say you have all the math needed to do what we covered. Not having to teach yourself the math as you go along will make a big difference in how the course goes.

G01 said:
Your math preparation seems fine. I'm currently in a quantum course, and I can say you have all the math needed to do what we covered. Not having to teach yourself the math as you go along will make a big difference in how the course goes.

what math would you need for QM? Do you really to learn differential geometry

No, for a course using e.g. Sakurai you need a good understanding of the basics of linear algebra+the "usual" math used in other courses (differential equations etc). Thats it.
Linear algebra is really the key. QM is probably the only physics course where ALL the linear algebra you learned in your math courses is actually used.

My problem was that I took both linear algebra courses year 1 and the "real" QM course 4 years later (this was in Sweden, I spent 5 years at university) and I had actually forgotten much of the linear algebra by then.

Linear algebra is the important math that you need. That is linear algebra done abstractly, and not just matrix manipulations. The thing is that the really important math is Weyl's contribution to qm-- group representation theory which is usually covered in abstract/modern algebra instead of linear algebra.

And what if you don't have that background? Then you just won't appreciate the underlying mathematical structure of the theory, but you'll still learn the material and be able to calculate things and understand the physical concepts, it's not the end of the world.

i don't think its the mathematics that is the problem, that side of it has never bothered me but I've only just finished my first semester of quantum mechanics and its the hardest thing I've ever done. i have certainly been confused by a lot of it. I'm trying to sort it out now though, i think its just a matter of it taking time to sink in, which it definitely is after some revision. I remember it took a while for things to finally click when i first started learning classical physics in school, one day everything just falls into place though.

1. Why is quantum mechanics considered difficult for senior physics majors?

Quantum mechanics is considered difficult for senior physics majors because it introduces concepts and principles that are drastically different from classical mechanics, which is the foundation of most undergraduate physics courses. Additionally, quantum mechanics involves complex mathematics and abstract thinking, making it challenging for many students to grasp.

2. What are some common reasons for senior physics majors struggling with quantum mechanics?

Some common reasons for senior physics majors struggling with quantum mechanics include a lack of familiarity with abstract concepts, difficulty in visualizing quantum phenomena, and the use of advanced mathematical techniques such as linear algebra and differential equations. Additionally, the uncertainty and probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics can be challenging for students who are used to working with deterministic principles in classical mechanics.

3. Are there any tips for senior physics majors to better understand quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are several tips that can help senior physics majors better understand quantum mechanics. These include practicing problem-solving regularly, seeking help from professors or tutors, breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, and using visual aids and simulations to aid understanding. It is also important to have a solid foundation in classical mechanics and mathematics before diving into quantum mechanics.

4. How can senior physics majors overcome their struggles with quantum mechanics?

Overcoming struggles with quantum mechanics requires dedication and persistence. Senior physics majors should actively engage with the material, attend lectures and discussion sessions, and seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or study groups. They should also communicate with their professors and ask for clarification when needed. Regular practice and a positive attitude can also greatly contribute to understanding and mastering quantum mechanics.

5. Is it normal for senior physics majors to struggle with quantum mechanics?

Yes, it is normal for senior physics majors to struggle with quantum mechanics. This subject is notoriously challenging, even for the most advanced physics students. It is important to remember that struggling with quantum mechanics does not reflect on one's intelligence or potential as a physicist. With perseverance and hard work, most students can overcome their struggles and develop a strong understanding of this complex but fascinating field.