Magnetic Linear Accelerator ( finding magnets)

In summary, for a magnetic linear accelerator using half inch ball bearings on a plastic track, it is recommended to use neodymium magnets that are proportional in size and mass to the ball bearings. This will ensure easy transfer of energy from the ball striking to the one behind the magnet. Additionally, it is suggested to consider the cost of the magnets when choosing which ones to use. A potential option for magnets are neodymium cylinder magnets or cubes with the same diameter/size as the ball bearings. This will allow for the incoming ball bearing to make contact with the center of the magnet, resulting in no torque and a transfer of impulse to the balls on the other side.
EntryLevelStu
So i have decided for my physics project to build a magnetic linear accelerator made with half inch ball bearings on a plastic track. The first bearing is rolled and accelerated by the magnet which when struck, launches the ball on the other side due to the momentum of the accelerated bearing. However my problem is which type of magnets should i use? I need something powerful so obviously it should be a Neodymium magnet but I've heard rumors that the magnets mass needs to be about equal the mass of the ball bearings to facilitate easy transfer of energy from the ball striking to the one behind the magnet. Is this true? And can anybody alert me of other pitfalls to watch fro when picking magnets for this project? Thanks for the support.

Engineering news on Phys.org
this place is good for magnets http://www.amfmagnetics.com.au/products

You should defantly use neodynium magnets, they have workes great for me.

I was just playing my my linear magnetic accelerator today and I discovered that you would need magnets that are proportional to the ball bearing i used a 1.5cm bearing today on my 0.5 cm magnets and i just woulding work so anything close to the size/mass of the ball would work well as i have used a few other types today as well and aslong as there not to small or to big compared to the size of the magnets it should work well

when you pick magnets if cost is an issue make sure you know how much it will cost you.

hope this helps:smile:

You should use neodymium cylinder magnets the same diameter (or cubes the same size) as your ball bearings. In this case, the incoming ball bearing will make contact with the center of the magnet, and produce no torque. The entire impulse will then be transferred to the balls on the other side. See
http://www.hep.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/lin_accel.pdf

1. What is a Magnetic Linear Accelerator?

A Magnetic Linear Accelerator, also known as a Gauss rifle, is a device that uses a series of magnets to accelerate a metal ball or projectile along a track at high speeds.

2. How does a Magnetic Linear Accelerator work?

The Magnetic Linear Accelerator works by using a series of magnets with alternating polarity to create a repelling force on the metal ball or projectile, propelling it forward along the track. This process is repeated multiple times, increasing the velocity of the projectile with each acceleration.

3. What are the benefits of using a Magnetic Linear Accelerator?

One benefit of using a Magnetic Linear Accelerator is that it does not require any external power sources, making it a cost-effective and environmentally friendly option for propulsion. Additionally, it can achieve high velocities without the use of combustible fuels, making it safer and more efficient.

4. What are the practical applications of a Magnetic Linear Accelerator?

Magnetic Linear Accelerators have various practical applications, such as in research and development for studying the effects of high-speed impacts, in industrial settings for sorting materials, and in transportation for launching spacecrafts or propelling vehicles at high speeds.

5. Are there any limitations to a Magnetic Linear Accelerator?

While Magnetic Linear Accelerators have many benefits, they also have some limitations. These include the need for carefully calibrated magnets and precise alignment of the track, as well as the potential for wear and tear on the components due to the high velocities achieved. Additionally, the range of acceleration is limited by the length of the track.