Velocity of Pendulum at a certain point

In summary, Tarzan, who weighs 668 N, swings from a cliff at the end of a convenient vine that is 23.0 m long. From the top of the cliff to the bottom of the swing, he descends by 3.2 m. By using the equations F=ma and a_radial=v^2/r, the maximum magnitude of tension in the vine can be calculated. By making a force diagram at the bottom of the path and summing the forces, the equation mv^2/r + mg = T can be derived. From the information given, it can be determined that Tarzan's initial velocity is 0, and his final velocity can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation 1/
grantrudd

Homework Statement

Tarzan, who weighs 668 N, swings from a cliff at the end of a convenient vine that is 23.0 m long (see the figure). From the top of the cliff to the bottom of the swing, he descends by 3.2 m.
If the vine doesn't break, what is the maximum magnitude of the tension in the vine?

http://capa-new.colorado.edu/hrw-lib/hrwpictures/8-38.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma

a_radial=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that the max tension is at the bottom, so i made a force diagram at the bottom of the path, and summed the forces to get

F=T-mg
mv^2/r + mg= T

i found the mass, but my only missing variable is the velocity of the "pendulum."

i am completely stuck on this part. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Can you think of anyways you can get V from this information "From the top of the cliff to the bottom of the swing, he descends by 3.2 m."

As energy is not lost nor created, Tarzan speed (kynetic energy) must come from another form of energy. In this case, he has descended 3.2m...

thanks for the welcome!

i have been thinking about it on the next homework problem actually, and i think it has something to do with conservation of momentum. something like:

1/2(mv^2)+mgy= 1/2(mv^2) +No potential at the bottom.

the initial velocity is 0, so the first initial kinetic energy is 0. is this reasoning right? or does he have some kinetic at the top?

i guess that was right. i got the problem right, so that should help me on a few other problems. i will probably be back here asking more questions later though!

1. What is the velocity of a pendulum at its highest point?

The velocity of a pendulum at its highest point is zero. This is because the pendulum reaches its maximum height at this point and then begins to swing back down due to the force of gravity.

2. How is the velocity of a pendulum related to its length?

The velocity of a pendulum is directly proportional to its length. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, so does its velocity. The longer the pendulum, the greater the distance it has to travel in a given amount of time, resulting in a higher velocity.

3. Can the velocity of a pendulum change at different points in its swing?

Yes, the velocity of a pendulum changes at different points in its swing. It is highest at the lowest point of the swing and decreases as the pendulum reaches its highest point. This is due to the conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy as the pendulum moves.

4. How can I calculate the velocity of a pendulum at a certain point?

To calculate the velocity of a pendulum at a certain point, you can use the formula v = √(gL(1-cosθ)), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length of the pendulum, and θ is the angle of the swing at the specific point in radians.

5. How does air resistance affect the velocity of a pendulum?

Air resistance can decrease the velocity of a pendulum by exerting a force against the pendulum's motion. This force, known as drag, can cause the pendulum to lose energy and slow down over time. However, the effect of air resistance on the velocity of a pendulum is typically small in most cases.