Particle sliding down a frictionless sphere

In summary, a particle of mass m slides down a fixed frictionless sphere of radius R, starting from rest at the top. The kinetic energy of the particle can be expressed as 1/2mv^2, where v = sqrt(gR). The centripetal acceleration is equal to gravity (g), and the tangential acceleration can be found using the weight of the particle resolved into radial and tangential components. To determine the value of Θ at which the particle leaves the sphere, the forces acting on the particle must be considered.
attilathedud

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m slides down a fixed frictionless sphere of radius R starting from rest at the top.
a. In terms of m, g, R, and Θ, determine each of the following for the particle while it is sliding on the sphere.
i. The kinetic energy of the particle.
ii. The centripetal acceleration of the mass.
iii. The tangential acceleration of the mass.
b. Determine the value of Θ at which the particle leaves the sphere.

Homework Equations

None given.

The Attempt at a Solution

a.
i.
Ki + Vi = Kf + Vf
0 + mgy = 1/2mv^2 + 0
gy = 1/2v^2
g(R/2) = v^2/2
v = sqrt(gR)

ii.
ar = v^2 / R
ar = gR/R
ar = g

iii.
v = r(dΘ / dt)
sqrt(gR) = R(Θ/t)
gR = (R(Θ / t)) ^ 2
t = d/v
gR = (R(Θ / d / sqrt(gR))^2
gR = R(Θsqrt(gR)/d)^2

b. Pretty sure the fact I massively screwed up part iii is making this section impossible. And having the centripetal acceleration equal gravity seems incorrect as well.

Edit: Seems like I wasn't the first one to post this. My apologies.

The forum adds the template tags to the bottom of the current post every time you hit the "Preview Post" button...

Physics news on Phys.org
attilathedud said:
i.
Ki + Vi = Kf + Vf
0 + mgy = 1/2mv^2 + 0
gy = 1/2v^2
g(R/2) = v^2/2
v = sqrt(gR)
Using energy is the right approach, but you need to find an expression for ##v## as a function of ##\theta##. Don't set ##y## to a specific value as you did here. Instead, express it as a function of ##R## and ##\theta##.
attilathedud said:
ii.
ar = v^2 / R
ar = gR/R
ar = g
This part will work out once you fix part i.
attilathedud said:
iii.
v = r(dΘ / dt)
sqrt(gR) = R(Θ/t)
gR = (R(Θ / t)) ^ 2
t = d/v
gR = (R(Θ / d / sqrt(gR))^2
gR = R(Θsqrt(gR)/d)^2
It would be simpler to resolve the weight of the particle into radial and tangential components.

attilathedud said:
b. Pretty sure the fact I massively screwed up part iii is making this section impossible. And having the centripetal acceleration equal gravity seems incorrect as well.
How would you interpret "particle leaves sphere" in terms of the forces acting on the particle?

1. What is a particle sliding down a frictionless sphere?

A particle sliding down a frictionless sphere is a common physics problem where a small object, or particle, is placed at the top of a perfectly smooth and frictionless sphere and allowed to roll down under the influence of gravity.

2. What factors affect the motion of a particle sliding down a frictionless sphere?

The motion of a particle sliding down a frictionless sphere is affected by the mass of the particle, the radius of the sphere, and the angle at which the particle is released from the top of the sphere. The force of gravity is the only force acting on the particle in this scenario.

3. What is the path of the particle as it slides down a frictionless sphere?

The path of the particle as it slides down a frictionless sphere is known as a cycloid. This is a curved path where the particle moves in a vertical and horizontal direction simultaneously.

4. How does the speed of the particle change as it slides down a frictionless sphere?

The speed of the particle increases as it slides down the frictionless sphere due to the constant acceleration of gravity. However, the speed is not constant and changes at different points along the path, reaching its maximum speed at the bottom of the sphere.

5. Are there any real-life applications of a particle sliding down a frictionless sphere?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of a particle sliding down a frictionless sphere. One example is the design of roller coasters, where the motion of a roller coaster car can be modeled using the same principles as a particle sliding down a frictionless sphere. This problem also has applications in sports, such as the trajectory of a ball rolling down a curved ramp in a game of mini-golf.