Conducting spherical shells

In summary, the question asks about the distribution of charge between two concentric conducting spheres, one with a charge q and the other with a net charge Q. The charge on the inner sphere is q, while the charge on the outer sphere is induced by q and is potentially negative. The capacitance of the two spheres can be found by using Gauss's law to determine the flux between the spheres, finding the electric field between the spheres, and using the electric field to calculate the potential as a function of distance between the spheres.
captainjack2000

Homework Statement

I am a bit stuck with how to approach this questions;
"A thin conducting spherical shell of radius a carries a charge q. Concentric with this is another spherical shell of radius b>a carrying a net charge Q. Describe how the charge is distributed between the inner and outer surfaces of the shells. What is the capacitance of the two shells?"
Is the answer...just that all the charge lie on the surface of the two spheres? The electric field inside a conducting sphere is zero..so how does that work..there would be charge lying on the surface of the inner sphere which itself is inside the larger sphere so there would then be an electric field inside the larger sphere. Sorry I'm really a bit confused and would really appreciate some help with this question.
thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
i reckon that the inner sphere, being a conductor has the charge q on its surface. but if this is the same question i looked at the other day then reading the question, it doesn't specifically say that the outer sphere is a conductor does it?

so the Q which is a net charge on big sphere is induced by the q on the litle sphere. therefore Q is negative ( and possibly Q=-q but I am not sure).

anyway i reckon field lines going from the inner sphere to the outer sphere and then field lines from inifinity to the outer sphere.

actually Q must be -q in order for it to be a capacitor. so then its just [itex]C=\frac{Q}{V}[/itex]

where [itex]V=(b-a)E[/itex] and you can get E by pillboxing either surface

here's the route to your answer.

1. use gauss law and figure out the flux between the 2 concentric conducting spheres.
2. figure out the electric field between the 2 concentric spheres.
3. Use the E field to figure out the potential as a function of distance between the spheres.
4. find the Capacitance of the conducting spheres by using [tex] C = \frac {q}_{V} [/tex]

1. What is a conducting spherical shell?

A conducting spherical shell is a hollow, spherical object made of a material that allows for the flow of electric charges, such as metal. The surface of the shell is evenly charged, and the electric field inside the shell is zero.

2. How do you calculate the electric field inside a conducting spherical shell?

The electric field inside a conducting spherical shell can be calculated using the equation E = Q/4πεr^2, where Q is the total charge on the shell, ε is the permittivity of the material, and r is the distance from the center of the shell.

3. What is the significance of a conducting spherical shell in electrostatics?

A conducting spherical shell is significant in electrostatics because it provides a useful approximation for understanding the behavior of electric fields and charges. It allows for simplification of calculations and can be used to model more complex systems.

4. How does the electric potential vary inside a conducting spherical shell?

Inside a conducting spherical shell, the electric potential is constant throughout the interior of the shell. This is because the electric field is zero inside the shell, and the electric potential is directly proportional to the electric field.

5. What happens to the electric field and potential outside a conducting spherical shell?

Outside a conducting spherical shell, the electric field follows the inverse square law, decreasing as the distance from the center of the shell increases. The electric potential also decreases as the distance from the shell increases, but at a slower rate than the electric field.