Problem with a simple Stoke's Theorem question

• Thread starter Moham1287
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Stoke's Theorem to evaluate a contour integral and the calculation of the same integral directly. The given function and contour are used to illustrate the process. The participant also mentions a possible error and receives help in finding and correcting it.
Moham1287

Homework Statement

Using Stoke's Theorem, evaluate the contour integral:
[tex]\oint F.dr[/tex]
as an integral over an appropriately chosen 2 dimensional surface.

Use F = [tex](e^{x}y+cos\siny,e^{x}+sinx\cosy,ycosz)[/tex] and take the contour C to be the boundary of the rectangle with the vertices (0,0,0), (A,0,0), (A,B,0), (0,B,0) oriented anticlockwise.

Then evaluate the same integral directly as a contour integral.

Homework Equations

Stoke's Theorem,

[tex]\int\int_{S}(curl F).n\;d^{2}A=\oint F.dr[/tex]
where n is unit normal vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got Curl F to be (cos z)i by the standard method using a matrix. I set n as -k as the surface is in the xy plane so the normal vector is along the z direction and I got the negative by the right hand rule.

This gives:

[tex]\int^{0}_{A}dx\int^{0}_{B}(-1)k.(cosz)i\dy[/tex]

(-k).(cos z)i is 0

which makes the double integral nothing

However when I solve the same thing directly as a contour integral I get an answer of -B.

Going anti clockwise from the origin, (so from (0,0,0) to (A,0,0) is I, (A,0,0) to (A,B,0) is II, (A,B,0) to (0,B,0) is III and (0,B,0) to (0,0,0) is IV) I get:
I=0
II=[tex]e^{A}B + sinA\;sinB[/tex]
III=[tex]-(e^{A}B+sinA\;sinB)[/tex]
IV=[tex]-B[/tex]

Which, when added together, gives -B... I think there must be a glaring error somewhere. I can write up my calculations for the contour integral if that would help solve it... Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moham1287 said:
This gives:

[tex]\int^{0}_{A}dx\int^{0}_{B}(-1)k.(cosz)i\dy[/tex]

(-k).(cos z)i is 0

which makes the double integral nothing

Technically, the normal to the surface should be +k as given by the right-hand rule when your path is anticlockwise. Luckily, it didn't affect your answer in this case as -1*0 is still zero..

However when I solve the same thing directly as a contour integral I get an answer of -B.

Going anti clockwise from the origin, (so from (0,0,0) to (A,0,0) is I, (A,0,0) to (A,B,0) is II, (A,B,0) to (0,B,0) is III and (0,B,0) to (0,0,0) is IV) I get:
I=0
II=[tex]e^{A}B + sinA\;sinB[/tex]
III=[tex]-(e^{A}B+sinA\;sinB)[/tex]
IV=[tex]-B[/tex]

Your error is in integral III; recheck that calculation and post your work for it if you can't find the error.

I got it! Thanks a lot. Ha, I somehow messed up with the right hand rule, which is pretty basic, but that wasn't the problem. I just made a copying error and forgot about one of the [tex]e^{0}B[/tex] which should have become B, not nothing. Thanks a lot!

1. What is the Stoke's Theorem?

The Stoke's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral of a vector field over a closed curve to the surface integral of the curl of the vector field over the enclosed surface. It is a fundamental tool in vector calculus and is widely used in physics and engineering.

2. What is a simple example of a problem involving Stoke's Theorem?

A simple example of a problem involving Stoke's Theorem is finding the work done by a force field on a particle moving along a closed curve. The line integral of the force field over the curve can be calculated using Stoke's Theorem by finding the curl of the force field and then evaluating the surface integral of the curl over the enclosed surface.

3. What are the conditions for Stoke's Theorem to be applicable?

There are two main conditions for Stoke's Theorem to be applicable: the curve must be simple and closed, meaning it does not intersect itself, and the surface must be smooth, meaning it has a well-defined tangent plane at every point.

4. How do I know when to use Stoke's Theorem in a problem?

If a problem involves a closed curve and a vector field, and you are asked to find the line integral of the vector field over the curve, then Stoke's Theorem is likely applicable. Additionally, if the problem involves finding the circulation of a vector field or the flux through a surface, Stoke's Theorem can also be used.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Stoke's Theorem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using Stoke's Theorem include not checking the conditions of applicability, not correctly identifying the orientation of the curve or surface, and not carefully evaluating the integrals involved. It is important to double check all calculations and make sure they are consistent with the conditions of Stoke's Theorem.