What is a decent entry level DSLR?

In summary, the Canon EOS Rebel is a good camera that you don't need to spend too much money on lenses for. You can get a good starter kit lens for around $130.
SELFMADE
enough said

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a big fan of the Canon Digital Rebel

EOS 1000D, Marzena has one and she is pretty happy. Just don't even think about kit lens, go for at least Canon 17-85/4-5.6 EF-S IS USM.

Andre will probably have more to say about lenses.

No not 'nuff said'.

There are still some variables to consider. Maybe an idea to take some time and study:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

I'm happy with the Canon 450D/XSi rebel with exceptional image quality but if I had to start now, on the shortlist might have been the Nikon D500 and the Panasonic GH1 apart from the Canon 500D.

Last edited:
Borek said:
EOS 1000D, Marzena has one and she is pretty happy. Just don't even think about kit lens, go for at least Canon 17-85/4-5.6 EF-S IS USM.

Andre will probably have more to say about lenses.

I think there is nothing wrong with the 18-55mm IS kit lens especially since the price difference between body only and kit lens is negliglible.

apart from the kit lens I chose for

Wide angle Tokina 12-24mm (moderate price, superior image quality)
standard lens Canon EF 50 mm 1.8 II (very cheap but very sharp too)
Tele Canon EF 70-300 mm IS USM (also moderate price excellent image quality)
Macro Canon 100mm USM (tack sharp but I miss the image stabilisation) maybe browse the last pages of the photography thread to see what you can do with this lens.

But the canon EOS/rebels are not actually the most simple step in cameras. You really need to be prepared to do more than power on and shoot. The Sony A series and the Olympus E series are more users friendly.

Last edited:
If you are thinking DSLR, you should think in terms of systems, not just individual camera/lens combinations. I like Canon's offerings and have the 28-135 EF IS and the 100-400 EF IS (L series) as well as a kit lens (EF-S). I haven't bought any more of the EF-S series lenses, not because they are bad, but because eventually my upgrade path will probably include a full-frame 35mm body, and the EF-S lenses generally extend too far back into the light box and would jam the mirror. I'm looking at another lens, and it will definitely be an EF series, partly for upgrade compatibility and partly because the 100mm Macro EF can deliver some impressive images with a comfortable working distance.

Andre said:
I think there is nothing wrong with the 18-55mm IS kit lens

1000D is sold with EFS 18-55 (no IS, plastic mount). And while I have nothing against having 18-55 IS as a backup lens, 18-55 is not even good for a paper weight (too light).

Andre said:
Ah, the 'old' one, the 'new' IS version is okay.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1114/cat/11
Yep! The addition of IS to the kit lens extends its usability quite a bit, and I'd like to have gotten one with my first 30D instead of the non-IS model, especially since I don't like lugging tripods and enjoy walk-around shooting. I can't complain about the earlier kit lens, though. I was disappointed in its lack of heft (used to Olympus Zuiko lenses), but warmed up to it after seeing what nice images a cheap zoom could produce.

Andre said:
Ah, the 'old' one, the 'new' IS version is okay.

Yes. When Marzena decided to buy a new camera we could not find just a body in Warsaw, so I thought "well, 18-55 IS is a nice lens, no problem". I wasn't aware we will get old 18-55 :yuck:

Olympus E series give you a lot of toys for the money at the entry level. Another vote for www.dpreview.com

turbo-1 said:
... but because eventually my upgrade path will probably include a full-frame 35mm body, ..

I wonder about how useful upgrading to full frame FX could be. The increase in format decreases the depth of field, that's not very useful for macro. Despite the size difference the resolution would only increase from ~2300 to ~2700 LPH (lines per height) considering the test results at dpreview. You would not see a lot of difference below super poster format prints and if you really want to make something big, if it is static, you can shoot more pictures and stitch them.

So the real difference is in number of shots per second and high ISO performance but at a price penalty you could buy 5-10 entry level SLR's. I think I leave that for the professionals. But then I would go for the Nikon D3X. That's the one to beat, but have to win the lottery first.

Cheap and quality things make me happier :biggrin:

Andre said:
I wonder about how useful upgrading to full frame FX could be. The increase in format decreases the depth of field, that's not very useful for macro. Despite the size difference the resolution would only increase from ~2300 to ~2700 LPH (lines per height) considering the test results at dpreview. You would not see a lot of difference below super poster format prints and if you really want to make something big, if it is static, you can shoot more pictures and stitch them.

So the real difference is in number of shots per second and high ISO performance but at a price penalty you could buy 5-10 entry level SLR's. I think I leave that for the professionals. But then I would go for the Nikon D3X. That's the one to beat, but have to win the lottery first.
Lack of IS would probably confine the the 100 macro to a 30d instead of a full frame. Shallow DOF is not that big a deal for 100-400 EF and I have a friend on another forum who gets wonderful wildlife shots with that lens and a 5D. I'm not considering an "upgrade" body any time soon, but camera gear evolves very quickly, and in another 5 years or so, who knows?

Long-term planning is not a bad idea. I had my OM-1s and a variety of primes for many years, and eventually added an OM-4 for the multi-spot metering in tougher situations. The kit evolved - it wasn't planned that way at the beginning. In fact, I would have preferred an OM-3, but couldn't find one locally at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
but camera gear evolves very quickly, and in another 5 years or so, who knows?
With DSLRs it's worth looking at the lenses first - they are going to outlast a lot of bodies.
I bought an Olympus (E300) because of this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X1P5RE/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I had my OM-1s and a variety of primes for many years, and eventually added an OM-4 for the multi-spot metering in tougher situations. The kit evolved - it wasn't planned that way at the beginning. In fact, I would have preferred an OM-3, but couldn't find one locally at a reasonable price.
Me too, OM1 OM2 OM2-sp OM4, couldn't find a cheap OM3

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing to consider with DSLRs is that 'new shiny toy effect' means there are a lot of barely used last years models.
www.keh.com[/url] and [url]www.bhphotovideo.com[/URL] are both very reliable for used gear.
ps. if you are ever in New York, b&h is an amazing place to visit

All entry level DSLRs have something going for them.
What's your budget?
What features do you need/want? (IS, live view etc...)
Will you want to upgrade / buy extras? If so what kind things will you want?
What kind of things will you use it for?

Also, does one really need a DSLR?

Only if one requires:

- excellent image quality under high ISO sensitivities / low light

- extreme fast focussing for highly dynamic situations (sport etc)

- shallow depth of fields with good bokeh

- focus distances beyond the moderate wide to tele range (about 24 - 500 mm SLR equivalent).

- advanced special effects for architecture

Other than that you'll find that these can do the job just as well.

Last edited:
I recently got a nice package deal (about $350US total, if I recall correctly) on a http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60/" [Broken] with two lenses (the standard "AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR" and an AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED). I'll confess to not having too much time to play with it (I haven't even pulled out the zoom lens!) ... because my motivation for a decent camera was this little one, who takes up most of my time in other ways (diapers and feedings... as well as lots of snuggling):
Ellie%20--%208_23_2009%20downsized.jpg

But I've been pleased so far. It seems to be bridging a decent gap between point and shoot and actual user consideration.

Very cute shot physics girl! And that is a nice result from a competitively-priced kit.

Nice work indeed Physics girl, lovely baby

5o5e2h.jpg

Now this shot was taken with the Sony "water" camera :biggrin: H20, the new walk around camera, shot reduced to 25% size. this camera was selected because it also features full HD video including zoom during filming.

Last edited:
I love my Olympus E420. Bought it because I've always has Olympuses and I've got an adaptor to use my old lenses. Amazing camera.

Andre said:
Nice work indeed Physics girl, lovely baby

5o5e2h.jpg

Now this shot was taken with the Sony "water" camera :biggrin: H20, the new walk around camera, shot reduced to 25% size. this camera was selected because it also features full HD video including zoom during filming.

Is it any wonder that your grandson seems so interested in Pooh Bear :wink:?

lisab said:
Is it any wonder that your grandson seems so interested in Pooh Bear :wink:?
The bear of very little brain is ubiquitous. The indocrination is innocuous, but relentless. Watch out!

Lol, another thread that turns into cute kids :smile:

Both lovely, BTW.

What is a decent entry level DSLR?

A decent entry level DSLR is a type of digital camera that is suitable for beginners who are looking to upgrade from a point-and-shoot camera or a smartphone. It offers more advanced features and manual controls that allow for greater creativity and flexibility in photography.

What features should I look for in a decent entry level DSLR?

Some important features to consider in a decent entry level DSLR include a high resolution sensor, interchangeable lenses, manual exposure controls, and a variety of shooting modes. It is also helpful to look for cameras with a user-friendly interface and good image quality.

What is the difference between an entry level DSLR and a professional DSLR?

An entry level DSLR is typically more affordable and has fewer advanced features compared to a professional DSLR. Professional DSLRs are designed for experienced photographers and offer more options for customization and higher quality components, but they also come with a higher price tag.

What brands offer decent entry level DSLRs?

Some popular brands that offer decent entry level DSLRs include Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Pentax. Each brand has a range of models with varying features and price points, so it is important to research and compare before making a purchase.

Do I need any additional equipment for my entry level DSLR?

While not necessary, some recommended accessories for an entry level DSLR include extra lenses, a tripod, a camera bag, and a memory card. These can enhance your photography experience and help you get the most out of your camera.