How do I calculate the height of a tower using motion in one dimension?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving finding the height of a tower given the initial velocity and time of a rock being thrown from the top of the tower. The correct formula to use is \Delta y=Vf^2-Vi^2/2a. The mistake was corrected and the final answer is 44 m. An alternative way to solve the problem using calculus is also provided.
agm2010
I have a few problems I'm having trouble with. If I can get some help with this one I should be able to figure out the rest I have.

1. A rock is thrown downward from the top of a tower with an initial speed of 12 m/s. If the rock hits the ground after 2.0 s, what is the height of the tower? (neglect air resistance).

Known:
[tex]Vi=12m/s[/tex]
[tex]\Delta t=2 s[/tex]
[tex]a=9.8 m/s[/tex]

Relevant equations:
[tex]Vf^2=Vi^2+2a(\Delta y)[/tex]
My attempt:
[tex]\Delta y=Vf^2-Vi^2-(2a)[/tex]
[tex]\Delta y=0-144-(2*9.8 m/s^2)[/tex]
[tex]\Delta y=-163.6[/tex]
[tex]Height=163.6 m[/tex]

I'm not sure if this is right. I think I run into trouble when I rearrange the formula. Multiple choice answer D is 63 m, so it's either a typo or I'm doing something wrong. A little guidance please? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
If a = b + gc, then
c = (a - b)/g
So your Δy formula is wrong.

Ah, ok. I see what I did.

Corrected formula:
[tex]\Delta y=Vf^2-Vi^2/2a[/tex]I also need to first find the final velocity:

[tex]Vf=Vi+a(\Delta t)[/tex]
[tex]Vf=12 m/s + 9.8 m/s^2 (2 s)[/tex]
[tex]Vf=31.6 m/s[/tex]

Now for [tex]\Delta y[/tex]:

[tex]\Delta y = (31.6m/s^2) - (12 m/s^2) / 2(9.8m/s^2)[/tex]:
[tex]\Delta y = 43.6 m[/tex]
Height: 44 m

So it turned out to be a silly mistake. At least I learned from it. Thanks rl.bhat!

You can also derive the formula that you need.

Here is an alternative way to solve this problem. This will help.

Given that the acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2 we know that

[tex]\ddot{x}=9.8 m/s^2[/tex]

and given that the initial velocity is 12 m/s, we can get

[tex]\dot{x}=9.8t + 12[/tex]

and finally, setting the initial point as 0 m

[tex]x=\frac{9.8}{2}t^2+12t[/tex]

Now you can plug in t=2 sec, and you get

[tex]x=43.6 m[/tex]

A simple calculus trick. This will help you solving more complicated problems later, without any formulae memorized. =)

1. What is motion in one dimension?

Motion in one dimension refers to the movement of an object along a single axis or direction, such as along a straight line. This type of motion is often represented using a position-time graph, where the position of an object is plotted against time.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. In other words, velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

3. What is displacement?

Displacement is the straight-line distance between an object's initial position and its final position. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (size) and direction. Displacement can be positive or negative depending on the direction of motion.

4. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes. It is a vector quantity and is defined as the change in velocity over time. An object can accelerate if it speeds up, slows down, or changes direction.

5. How is motion in one dimension related to other types of motion?

Motion in one dimension is a simplified version of motion in multiple dimensions. It can be used to understand and describe more complex types of motion, such as projectile motion or circular motion. Additionally, the laws of motion that govern one-dimensional motion also apply to other types of motion.