Fundamental complex inequality

In summary, to prove the inequality for complex valued functions, we can use the expression Re[e^{-i \theta} \int_a^b f(t) dt] and set \theta = arg(\int_a^b f(t) dt) to reduce it to the absolute value. This is achieved by rotating the complex number \int_a^b f(t) dt to align with the real axis. This approach is a clever and unique way of proving the inequality.
Zorba
To proove the inequality:

[tex]\left | \int_a^b f(t) dt \right | \le \int_a^b | f(t) | dt[/tex]

for complex valued [tex]f[/tex], use the following:

[tex]\textrm{Re}\left [ e^{-\iota\theta}\int_a^b f(t) dt\right ] = \int_a^b \textrm{Re}[e^{-\iota\theta}f(t)] dt \le \int_a^b | f(t) | dt[/tex]

and then if we set:

[tex]\theta = \textrm{arg}\int_a^b f(t) dt[/tex]

the expression on the left reduces to the absolute value [tex]\square[/tex]So the last part, where he says that it reduces to the modulus by using that substitution of theta, I don't get it... how does that reduce to the modulus? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [tex]z=\int_a^b f(t)dt[/tex]

Let [tex]\theta=arg(z)[/tex]

Then we can write [tex]z=Re^{i \theta}[/tex] where [tex]R=|z|[/tex]

Now look at [tex]e^{-i \theta} z = e^{-i \theta} R e^{i \theta} = R = |z|[/tex]

Excellent, thanks for the quick reply. :smile:

To give a bit more of an exposition, you can think of multiplying a complex number by [tex]e^{i \theta}[/tex] as being the same thing as rotating it in the complex plane by an angle of [tex] \theta[/tex]. In this case what they did was rotate the number so that it lined up with the real axis

It's pretty clever; I've never seen this proof done like this before

What is "fundamental complex inequality"?

Fundamental complex inequality refers to the concept that in any complex society, there will always be a fundamental inequality in terms of power, resources, and opportunities among individuals and groups.

What factors contribute to fundamental complex inequality?

There are many factors that contribute to fundamental complex inequality, including historical and systemic discrimination, unequal distribution of resources, and unequal access to education and opportunities.

Why is fundamental complex inequality a significant issue?

Fundamental complex inequality has significant implications for social, economic, and political systems. It can lead to social unrest, hinder economic growth, and perpetuate cycles of poverty and oppression.

How can fundamental complex inequality be addressed?

Addressing fundamental complex inequality requires a multi-faceted approach that includes policies to promote equal opportunities, education and awareness about systemic discrimination, and efforts to address structural barriers that perpetuate inequality.

What role do scientists play in addressing fundamental complex inequality?

Scientists have an important role to play in addressing fundamental complex inequality. They can use their research and expertise to identify and understand the root causes of inequality and inform evidence-based solutions. They can also advocate for policies and practices that promote equality and social justice.