Optimizing Transformer Parameters for Efficient Substation Performance | Tims

In summary, the conversation was about determining parameters for a new transformer worth $100 million for a substation. The discussed parameters included nominal capacity, average repair cost, unsupplied energy cost, and average repair time. The recommended sources of information were Google and a specific user on Physics Forums. The question was also raised about the realism of the mentioned cost and the capacity of 10^5 KW.
tims.corbett
Hi All,

I am required to assume some parameters for my research,
For a new transformer worth $100 million for a substation, what likely could be sensible for these

parameters?

Nominal Capacity? (Example 10^5 KW)
Average Repair Cost? ($1 million ?)
Unsupplied energy cost? ($3 kWh ?)
Average Repair time? (1 year?)

Thanks,
Tims

Engineering news on Phys.org
tims.corbett said:
Hi All,

I am required to assume some parameters for my research,
For a new transformer worth $100 million for a substation, what likely could be sensible for these

parameters?

Nominal Capacity? (Example 10^5 KW)
Average Repair Cost? ($1 million ?)
Unsupplied energy cost? ($3 kWh ?)
Average Repair time? (1 year?)

Thanks,
Tims

What other sources of information are you looking into to find this?

berkeman said:
What other sources of information are you looking into to find this?

Google substation costs for a typical 500/230 kV transformer and
http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/645480-vbjaZD/webviewable/645480.pdf

Would $1 million (CAD) be more realistic than $100 million? Would this configuration produce a capacity of 10^5 KW?

1. What is the purpose of optimizing transformer parameters for efficient substation performance?

The main purpose of optimizing transformer parameters is to improve the overall efficiency and reliability of the substation. This includes reducing energy losses, improving voltage regulation, and maximizing the lifespan of the transformer.

2. What are the key parameters that should be optimized for efficient substation performance?

The key parameters that should be optimized include transformer design, load management, cooling system, insulation materials, and maintenance schedule. These factors all play a role in the efficiency and performance of the substation.

3. How does optimizing transformer parameters affect the overall cost of the substation?

Optimizing transformer parameters can lead to significant cost savings in the long run. By reducing energy losses and improving efficiency, the substation can operate more efficiently and cost-effectively. Additionally, optimizing maintenance schedules can also save money by preventing costly repairs and replacements.

4. What are the potential risks of not optimizing transformer parameters?

If transformer parameters are not optimized, it can lead to higher energy losses, decreased efficiency, and potential equipment failures. This can result in increased downtime and maintenance costs, as well as potential safety hazards for both personnel and the surrounding community.

5. How can I determine if my transformer parameters need to be optimized?

There are a few indicators that can suggest the need for optimization, such as high energy bills, frequent equipment failures, and inconsistencies in voltage levels. It is also recommended to regularly conduct maintenance and performance assessments to identify any potential areas for improvement.