"Understanding Commuting Observables Proof

In summary, the proof for the commutativity of two observables involves the use of a common basis of eigenvectors in a Hilbert space. The last step of the proof involves summing the product of the two observables, but there was a typing error in the indices. The correct expression should be \sum_n\hat{O}_{kn}\hat{O}'_{nj}. This error was pointed out by the other person in the conversation.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

In the proof that two observables [tex]\hat{O}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{O}'[/tex] commute iff they admit a common basis of eigenvectors, I'm not understanding one part.

Homework Equations

If [tex]{|a_k\rangle}[/tex] is basis in Hilbert space we have:

[tex](OO')_{jk}=\langle a_j|\hat{O}\hat{O}'|a_k\rangle=\sum_n\langle a_j|\hat{O}|a_n\rangle\langle a_n|\hat{O}'|a_k\rangle=\sum_n\hat{O}_{kn}\hat{O}'_{nj}[/tex]

Now I'm confused a bit. And maybe I'm not understanding the matter that well (I'm only starting to study QM), but why is the last part

[tex]\sum_n\hat{O}_{kn}\hat{O}'_{nj}[/tex] and not [tex]\sum_n\hat{O}_{jn}\hat{O}'_{nk}[/tex]?

I mean it 'feels' to me that the latter should be true, because it is in the brackets (I mean the indices)...

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right. The indices are messed up in the last step.

Oh, so it's a typing error... Well that's yay! for me (this time my intuition wasn't wrong ^^)

1. What is the purpose of the "Understanding Commuting Observables Proof"?

The purpose of the "Understanding Commuting Observables Proof" is to provide a mathematical proof for the concept of commuting observables in quantum mechanics. This proof helps to explain the relationship between two observables that can be measured simultaneously without affecting each other's values.

2. What are commuting observables?

Commuting observables are two quantum mechanical observables that have the property of being able to be measured simultaneously without altering each other's values. This means that the order in which the observables are measured does not affect the final outcome of the measurements.

3. Why is understanding commuting observables important in quantum mechanics?

Understanding commuting observables is important in quantum mechanics because it helps to explain the fundamental principles of the uncertainty principle. It also plays a crucial role in the measurement process and in determining the state of a quantum system.

4. How does the "Understanding Commuting Observables Proof" contribute to the field of quantum mechanics?

The "Understanding Commuting Observables Proof" provides a rigorous mathematical proof for the concept of commuting observables, which helps to deepen our understanding of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. It also serves as a basis for further research and advancements in the field.

5. Are there any real world applications for the concept of commuting observables?

Yes, the concept of commuting observables has real world applications in various fields such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum information processing. It also has implications in understanding the behavior of particles in complex systems, such as atoms and molecules.