Finding the set of interior points, the closure, and an example

In summary: So the closure of U will be larger than the closure of S. In summary, the set S=[0,1)U(1,2) has an interior set of (0,1)U(1,2) and a closure of [0,2]. An example of a set S of real numbers where U closure does not equal S closure is S=(0,3)U(5,6) and an example of a subset S of the interval [0,1] where S closure=[0,1] is S=(0,1/2)U(1/2,1).
splash_lover
Suppose that S=[0,1)U(1,2)

a) What is the set of interior points of S?

I thought it was (0,2)

b) Given that U is the set of interior points of S, evaluate U closure.

I thought that U closure=[0,2]

c) Give an example of a set S of real numbers such that if U is the set of interior points of S, then U closure DOES NOT equal S closure

This one I was not sure about, but here is my example:
S=(0,3)U(5,6) S closure=[0,3]U[5,6]
U=(0,6) U closure=[0,6]

d) Give an example of a subset S of the interval [0,1] such that S closure=[0,1].

I said if the subset S=(0,1/2)U(1/2,1) then S closure=[0,1]

Are my answers right for these? If not could you please explain what the answer is in detail?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If S=[0,1)U(1,2), as you wrote, is (1/2, 3/2) contained in S? (Note that 1 is an element of (1/2, 3/2)).

I think so, when I read the problem that's all it had was S=[0,1)U(1,2). So I am assuming (1/2,3/2) is contained in S.

OK, assume (1/2, 3/2) is an open subset of S. Since 1 is an element of (1/2, 3/2), can this statement be true?

no it can't because 1 is not included in S

Last edited:
OK, so, can (0, 2) be the interior of S?

no, (0,2) can't be the interior of S. So it would be (0,1)U(1,2)?

Yes. The closure of S you wrote down is correct. Note that a useful fact about closures is that a point is in the closure of a set if and only if every neighbourhood of that point intersects the set of interest. So, 1 is in the closure of S.

So the closure is [0,2].

Was the example i gave for part C correct?

Is it even possible to find an example for part c? I know the example I gave is wrong.

Can it be correct, considering all we said in between?

no, because some of the points in U (set of interior points)are not included in the original set S.

1. What are interior points?

Interior points are points within a set that are surrounded by other points in the set. In other words, they are points that do not lie on the boundary of the set.

2. How do you find the set of interior points for a given set?

The set of interior points can be found by determining all points in the set that have a neighborhood entirely contained within the set. This can be done by checking if each point in the set has a ball (a set of points within a certain distance from the given point) that is completely contained within the set.

3. What is the closure of a set?

The closure of a set is the set itself along with all of its limit points. A limit point is a point that can be approximated by points within the set. In other words, every neighborhood of a limit point contains points from the set.

4. How do you find the closure of a set?

The closure of a set can be found by taking the union of the set itself and its boundary. The boundary of a set is the set of all points that are neither interior points nor exterior points (points that are not in the set and are not limit points of the set).

5. Can you provide an example of finding the set of interior points and the closure of a set?

Sure, let's take the set A = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7}. The interior points of this set would be {2, 3, 4, 5, 6}, since each of these points has a neighborhood (for example, 2.5) that is completely contained within the set. The closure of this set would be {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7}, since the boundary of the set is empty (there are no points that are neither interior nor exterior points).