Convert mg to kg: Get help Now!

• Thread starter r-soy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, the conversation discusses converting mg to kg and using the concept of "multiplying by 1" to understand unit conversions. One method suggested is to multiply 1250mg by 1g/1000mg and 1kg/1000g to get the answer in kg. The conversation also mentions the use of Wolfram Alpha but notes that it may not always provide an explanation for the conversion.
r-soy
Hi

I want help to convert mg to kg

ex: 1250mg --- > kg

Are we multiply 1250mg X 10^-3

or multiply 1250mg X 10^-6

I want your help >>

Physics news on Phys.org
wolframalpha's real good!

One way that I've found helps students that are new to unit conversions understand is called "multiplying by 1" In any expression, I can multiply by 1 as many times as I want without changing the answer. To see how this works, let's take you question, as follows:
[tex] 1250 mg = 1250 mg \frac{1 g}{1000 mg} \frac{1kg}{1000g} = \frac{1250 kg}{10^6} = 1250 \times 10^{-6} kg[/tex]

Does this help? The problem with Wolfram Alpha is that, while it works, you don't usually know what it is doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I convert milligrams (mg) to kilograms (kg)?

To convert mg to kg, simply divide the value in mg by 1,000. This is because 1,000 mg is equal to 1 kg. For example, if you have 5,000 mg, divide it by 1,000 to get 5 kg.

2. Why do we need to convert mg to kg?

Converting from mg to kg allows us to express smaller units of mass in a more manageable and standardized form. It also makes it easier to compare and measure quantities of different substances.

3. Can I use a calculator to convert mg to kg?

Yes, you can use a calculator to convert mg to kg. Simply enter the value in mg and divide it by 1,000 to get the value in kg. Most scientific calculators also have a conversion function that can do this automatically.

4. What is the conversion factor for mg to kg?

The conversion factor for mg to kg is 0.001. This means that to convert from mg to kg, you need to divide the value in mg by 1,000.

5. Is it possible to convert between other units of mass besides mg and kg?

Yes, it is possible to convert between other units of mass such as grams (g) and kilograms (kg). The conversion factor for g to kg is 0.001, which means you need to divide the value in g by 1,000 to get the value in kg. You can also convert between other units of mass, such as pounds (lb) and kilograms (kg), using different conversion factors.