Methane gas and activated carbon

In summary, the conversation discusses the ability of methane gas to pass through activated carbon and not get trapped. The individual is using compost to produce gases, and wants to know if the activated carbon in their column will absorb the methane. They are unsure and are seeking more information. A resource is shared that may provide helpful information.
turnerdhr

Homework Statement

I want to know if methane gas (CH4) is able to pass through activated carbon and not get trapped. If it can how does it pass and why does it passes.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please state your problem with greater detail. How would you propose to test? What do you think?

I'm using compost and from it i want to run the gases that are produced by the compost into a colunm that has activated carbon in it, and i can't find anywhere if the activated carbon absorbs the methane or not becasue i want to use the just a methane to get natural gas. I don't think it would trap the methane but I'm not sure.

thanks a lot its very helpful and thank you for your time.

1. What is methane gas?

Methane gas is a colorless, odorless gas that is the simplest hydrocarbon compound. It is composed of one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms, and is the main component of natural gas.

2. How is methane gas produced?

Methane gas is produced by the breakdown of organic matter in anaerobic (oxygen-depleted) environments, such as landfills, wetlands, and the digestive systems of animals. It can also be produced through industrial processes, such as the production of coal and natural gas.

3. What is activated carbon?

Activated carbon is a highly porous form of carbon that has been treated with oxygen to create a large surface area for adsorption. It is commonly used in air and water purification systems to remove impurities and contaminants.

4. How does activated carbon adsorb methane gas?

Activated carbon has a high affinity for methane gas, meaning it is able to attract and hold onto methane molecules. The porous structure of activated carbon provides a large surface area for the methane to adhere to, effectively removing it from the surrounding environment.

5. What are the applications of using activated carbon to capture methane gas?

Activated carbon can be used in various industries to capture and store methane gas. This includes landfills, wastewater treatment plants, and biogas production facilities. It can also be used in the development of technologies for the reduction of methane emissions from sources such as livestock and oil and gas production.