How Does Charge Distribution Affect Potential in Electromagnetic Fields?

Another hint would be to use the binomial expansion to simplify the expression inside the square root. Keep in mind that since r \gg R, we can ignore terms with higher powers of R. That should give you the leading term for points off the axis.
solipsis

Homework Statement

A hoop of radius R and total charge -q is oriented with its normal vector along the z-axis.
A positive charge +q is placed at the centre of the hoop. The potential at a distance r along the z-axis is:

[tex]V(r) = (\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0}(\frac{1}{r} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{r^2 + R^2}})[/tex]

In the case of azimuthal symmetry, the general solution to Laplace's equation [tex]\nabla^2 V = 0[/tex] is:

[tex]V(r,\theta) = \sum^{\infty}_{l=0}(A_l r^l + \frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}})P_l cos(\theta)[/tex]

Assuming r >> R, use equations (1) and (2) to obtain an expression for the leading term of the potential at points off the axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that on the axis, theta = 0, so

[tex]V(r,\theta) = \sum^{\infty}_{l=0}(A_l r^l + \frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}})P_l[/tex]

I tried expanding equation (1), I think I have to get it into powers of R/r, but not entirely sure how to do that.

Any pointers/hints to get me started would me much appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the right idea. I would start by pulling out a factor of R from the denominator in the second term of the on-axis potential.

[tex]\sqrt{r^2 + R^2} = R(\cdots ?\cdots)[/tex]

diazona said:
You've got the right idea. I would start by pulling out a factor of R from the denominator in the second term of the on-axis potential.

[tex]\sqrt{r^2 + R^2} = R(\cdots ?\cdots)[/tex]

You mean pull out a factor of [itex]r[/itex], right? (Since [itex]\frac{R}{r}\ll 1[/itex] )

[tex]\sqrt{r^2 + R^2} = r\sqrt{\cdots ?\cdots}[/tex]

gabbagabbahey said:
You mean pull out a factor of [itex]r[/itex], right? (Since [itex]\frac{R}{r}\ll 1[/itex] )

[tex]\sqrt{r^2 + R^2} = r\sqrt{\cdots ?\cdots}[/tex]
Ah, yes, thanks for catching that.

I would suggest first looking at the equation for the potential at a distance r along the z-axis (equation 1) and considering the condition r >> R. This means that R is much smaller than r, so we can assume that the term \frac{1}{\sqrt{r^2 + R^2}} is negligible compared to \frac{1}{r}. Therefore, we can simplify equation (1) to:

V(r) = \frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{1}{r} - 0\right) = \frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r}

We can then substitute this simplified expression into equation (2) for the general solution to Laplace's equation. This will give us:

V(r, \theta) = \sum^{\infty}_{l=0}\left(A_l r^l + \frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}}\right)P_l\cos(\theta)

Since we are interested in the leading term, we can focus on the first term in the summation, where l = 0. This will give us:

V(r, \theta) \approx A_0 + \frac{B_0}{r}

We can then use this expression to find the leading term of the potential at points off the axis, by substituting in different values for \theta. For example, when \theta = \frac{\pi}{2}, we get:

V(r, \frac{\pi}{2}) \approx A_0 + \frac{B_0}{r}\cos(\frac{\pi}{2}) = A_0

Therefore, the leading term of the potential at points off the axis is simply A_0. This term will vary depending on the specific boundary conditions and geometry of the problem, but this method can be used to find the leading term in general. I hope this helps!

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the interaction between electrically charged particles and their magnetic fields. It explains how electricity and magnetism are related and how they can be used to create electromagnetic waves, such as light.

2. What is an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnetic field is a physical field that is created by the presence of electrically charged particles. It has both electric and magnetic components and is responsible for the interaction between charged particles and their surroundings.

3. How is electromagnetism used in everyday life?

Electromagnetism is used in a variety of ways in our daily lives. Some common examples include the use of electric motors in household appliances, the transmission of electricity through power lines, and the creation of electromagnetic waves in radios and cell phones.

4. What is the difference between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. It can be turned on and off, and its strength can be controlled by adjusting the current. A permanent magnet, on the other hand, is always magnetic and does not require an external current to maintain its magnetic field.

5. How does electromagnetism relate to light?

Electromagnetism is the underlying force that governs the behavior of light. Light is an electromagnetic wave, meaning it is made up of changing electric and magnetic fields. The speed of light is determined by the strength of these fields, and the properties of light can be explained by the principles of electromagnetism.