This should be easy Units of log graph?

In summary: Ok, thanks for the quick reply. So just to be clear its ok for me to write the equation:mu = Const/(T^0.63)and that makes sense? then if someone asks about units i just say that mu is actually mu/mu0, and T is actually T/T0 and that is the way it had to be in order for it to be dimensionless and so i could log it in the first place?Well, you forgot the electric field. I would say that you should include the electric field in the equation. You can write:mu = Const/(T^0.63)where E is electric field, T is temperature, K is a (dimensioned)
IN88
I have a question that sounds easy but as of yet no one has been able to give me a satisfactory explanation. I made a plot of mobility (cm^2/Vs) against temperature (K), i then wanted to find an expression that showed the relationship between the two. What i did was took the natural logarithm of both mobility and temperature and plotted that. This gave me a straight line (R^2 = 0.9997). So i then rearranged this straight line equation to see how mobility related to temperature. I have attached a file with the plots, data and my working out. I came up with the equation: mobility = Const/(Temp^0.63). This equation does give me the values of mobility (in cm^2/Vs) when i put in temperatures (in Kelvin) that i was looking for. However, when i was thinking about the dimensions of the equation it did not seem to make physical sense. When you log or take the exponent of something, the something has to be dimensionless. I have asked some people about this, someone said that most of the time this sort of thing is just ignored and someone else told me to take the log of a ratio, to have T/T0 where T0 is some sort of reference temperature. However in my system there is no physics reason to have a reference temperature and i am happy with the equation that i have come up with as it gives me the values i was looking for. Its just the dimensions that i don't understand. If you log something with units, then take the exponent of it, does the thing you get back with have the same units as when you started? how do you go about logging things with units?

Attachments

• Plots.pdf
    106.3 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
Strictly speaking, the logarithm of a dimensioned quantity is not consistent, you cannot do it. You have to divide by a standard unit if you are doing dimensional analysis, and if a and b have the same dimensions, you cannot say log(a/b)=log(a)-log(b). Usually you can just pick the standard unit to be unity, one unit of whatever system of units you are working in, so if you really had to justify your units when making, say, a log plot, you could say the horizontal axis is log(T/To) where To=1 degree, and the vertical axis is log(mu/muo) where muo equals 1 cm^2/volt/sec. Usually no one bothers with making this explicit.

Ok, thanks for the quick reply. So just to be clear its ok for me to write the equation:

mu = Const/(T^0.63)

and that makes sense? then if someone asks about units i just say that mu is actually mu/mu0, and T is actually T/T0 and that is the way it had to be in order for it to be dimensionless and so i could log it in the first place?

IN88 said:
Ok, thanks for the quick reply. So just to be clear its ok for me to write the equation:

mu = Const/(T^0.63)

and that makes sense? then if someone asks about units i just say that mu is actually mu/mu0, and T is actually T/T0 and that is the way it had to be in order for it to be dimensionless and so i could log it in the first place?

Your constant has a dimension.

IN88 said:

mu = Const/(T^0.63)

Well, you forgot the electric field. I would say

[tex]\mu=KE/T^a[/tex]

where E is electric field, T is temperature, K is a (dimensioned) constant and mu is mobility. Its perfectly fine to write it this way, but taking logarithms of each side is, strictly speaking, not dimensionally correct. Basically, you can just ignore this detail, but to show you understand the dimensional problem, don't write anything like log(200 K), write log(200) instead. You can go along and write log(T) keeping in mind you are really writing log(T/To) where To=1 K. Nobody will fault you for writing it this way unless you are making a dimensional argument, which you are not. When making a graph, maybe it would be better to plot your data on log-log axes, that way the labels will still be T and mu, but the power law relationship will be clear.

The mobility is independent of the field, in the first order at least. This is the point in introducing it: the drift velocity is proportional to the field and the proportionality constant is called mobility.

nasu said:
The mobility is independent of the field, in the first order at least. This is the point in introducing it: the drift velocity is proportional to the field and the proportionality constant is called mobility.

ooops - right. I misremembered the equation. Anyway, the dimensional stuff is the same.

What are the units on a log graph?

The units on a log graph depend on the variable being plotted. For example, if the x-axis represents time, the units would be in seconds, minutes, hours, etc. If the y-axis represents distance, the units would be in meters, kilometers, miles, etc.

Why use a log graph instead of a linear graph?

A log graph is useful for visualizing data that spans a wide range of values. It compresses large numbers and expands small numbers, making it easier to see patterns and trends in the data. It also allows for better comparison between data points that are far apart.

How do you read a log graph?

The values on a log graph are not evenly spaced like on a linear graph. Instead, the values increase by a constant ratio, such as by a factor of 10 or 100. The distance between each tick mark on the axis represents this constant ratio. To read a log graph, you must first determine the ratio being used and then interpret the values accordingly.

What is the difference between a log graph and a semi-log graph?

A log graph has both axes on a logarithmic scale, while a semi-log graph has only one axis (usually the y-axis) on a logarithmic scale. This is useful when the data being plotted has a wide range of values on one axis and a smaller range on the other axis.

How do you convert data to be plotted on a log graph?

This will depend on the software or platform being used to create the log graph. In general, you can use a log function or change the axis scale to logarithmic. It is important to note that the data being plotted must follow a logarithmic pattern for it to be accurately represented on a log graph.