Linear Algebra - Finding the equation of a plane from 3 points

In summary, the equation of the plane containing the points (-3, -1, 3), (-5, -4, 2), and (-6, 0, 0) is 8x - 3y - 11z = -54. The mistake in the attempted solution was made in the calculation of the cross product, where (-1) was incorrectly subtracted from 9 instead of adding 1.
cris623

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the plane which contains the points (−3 −1 3), (−5 −4 2) and (−6 0 0).
Write the equation in the form Ax+By+Cz=D

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

P (-3 -1 3)
Q (-5 -4 2)
R (-6 0 0)

Alright so first i found the vectors PQ and PR to be (-2 -3 -1) and (-3 1 -3)
Then I found the cross product PQ x PR to be (8 -3 -11) and put that into the equation to get 8x-3y-11z=D

and then subbed point P into that equation to solve for D and finished with:
8x-3y-11z=-54

This answer was marked wrong, I've checked everything over and over and can't figure out how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your cross product! I got (-2, -3, -1) cross (-3, 1, -3) = (10, -3, -11)

I'm still new with cross products and I swear I checked it like 10 times. I messed up when subtracting (-1) from 9, instead I subtracted (+1) from 9 to get 8 rather than 10. Geeze.

Thanks a lot!

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of linear transformations, matrices, and systems of linear equations.

What is the equation of a plane?

The equation of a plane is a mathematical representation of a flat, two-dimensional surface in a three-dimensional space. It can be written in the form of Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the plane's normal vector, and D is a constant term.

How do you find the equation of a plane from 3 points?

To find the equation of a plane from 3 points, you can use the cross product of two vectors formed by the points. This will give you the normal vector of the plane. Then, you can use the coordinates of one of the points to calculate the constant term in the equation.

What is the normal vector of a plane?

The normal vector of a plane is a vector that is perpendicular to the plane and has a magnitude of 1. It is also known as the surface normal or unit normal vector. It is an important concept in linear algebra as it can be used to find the equation of a plane and to determine the angle between two planes.

Why is finding the equation of a plane important?

Finding the equation of a plane is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows us to describe and analyze the relationship between points and planes in a three-dimensional space. It can also help us solve problems involving planes, such as finding the shortest distance between a point and a plane or finding the intersection of two planes.