Can Copper Effectively Absorb Carbon from the Air?

In summary, according to the Science Fair project, if we use Copper in Sizing boilers, Copper will absorb much quantity of Carbon from air. However, the project is wrong because it doesn't seem like it would actually work.
whyonlyme
Is copper absorbs Carbon?

I've just seen in one Science Fair project. In that there was one project. it was about pollution. There was a model of sizing machine. The boy who made this project says " If we use Copper in Sizing boilers, Copper will absorb much quantity of Carbon from air".

My question is " Is it true? "

If yes how is it possible?

How much Carbon it will absorb ?

Is that project useful?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

whyonlyme said:
" If we use Copper in Sizing boilers, Copper will absorb much quantity of Carbon from air"

Copper salts can sequester carbon dioxide, and molten copper may react with gaseous carbon, but metallic copper at room temperature? Doesn't seem likely.

Why it happens?

That was my question..

whyonlyme said:
Why it happens?

Your question is painfully ambiguous.

Why WHAT happens?

Especially taking into account fact that - as Mapes wrote - it doesn't happen.

I mean why Carbon sticks on Copper?

In short - it doesn't.

so, was that science project wrong?

Carbon in the atmosphere attaches to everything, but only in an extremely thin surface layer. We say that it is "en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adsorption"[/URL][/i] into the bulk of a copper sample to any great extent. So I guess the tenability of the science project depends upon one's definition of "much quantity of carbon."

Last edited by a moderator:

whyonlyme said:
so, was that science project wrong?

Assuming your description is correct - project is wrong.

But it seems you are misunderstanding at least parts of our explanation, so it is possible you also misunderstood parts of the project.

He says that some carbon sticks on Copper from whole Carbon. I also asked him how much carbon or how much percent carbon sticks on it? He says nothing......

whyonlyme said:
He says that some carbon sticks on Copper from whole Carbon.

That's probably true.

I also asked him how much carbon or how much percent carbon sticks on it? He says nothing......

I agree that's the problem - while some carbon may be adsorbed, its fraction is so small it doesn't matter.

That's assuming we are not missing something from the original project.

1. Does copper absorb carbon?

Yes, copper has the ability to absorb carbon. This process is known as carbon absorption or carbon sequestration.

2. How does copper absorb carbon?

Copper absorbs carbon through a process called chemisorption, where the carbon molecules bind to the surface of the copper atoms.

3. What are the benefits of copper absorbing carbon?

The main benefit of copper absorbing carbon is that it helps reduce the levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. This can help combat climate change and reduce the negative impacts of carbon emissions on the environment.

4. Can copper absorb carbon from any source?

Copper can absorb carbon from various sources such as the atmosphere, industrial processes, and even water bodies. However, the efficiency of carbon absorption may vary depending on the source and the conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to copper absorbing carbon?

While copper has the ability to absorb carbon, there are some limitations to this process. The amount of carbon that can be absorbed by copper is relatively small compared to other carbon sequestration methods. Additionally, the effectiveness of copper in carbon absorption may decrease over time due to surface oxidation.