Finding Speed of an object from various factors.

In summary, the user is seeking guidance for a Java program that calculates the speed and efficiency of a biker based on factors such as cadence, windspeed, bike weight, and user weight. These factors alone are not sufficient to determine the speed, as other factors such as air friction and energy loss must also be considered. The user is also advised to incorporate the dimensions of the bike's components into the simulation to accurately determine energy input. Overall, this task requires knowledge from a first mechanics course.
Rhotor
Hello users of Physics Forums,I come here seeking some guidance with a program i am writing in java.The point of my program is to determine the speed of the user depending on the following factors: Cadence,windspeed,bike weight and user weight. While i got a good mark in my physics class, (90), we did not learn this, and i come to this forum in search of some help. Another feature of my program would be to determine the efficency of the pedal. I have absolutly no clue if this is possible, but if it is, that would be an awsome feature. Please note that this is not a homework question, but a question that I myslelf am interested.Thanks for your help,

Rhotor

Physics news on Phys.org
Rhotor said:
The point of my program is to determine the speed of the user depending on the following factors: Cadence,windspeed,bike weight and user weight.
All of these factors are not enough to calculate the speed of biker pedaling at a certain rate under a constant set of conditions.The moment when the biker reaches a constant speed it is the moment when his energy input is equal to the energy loss.This losses are due primarily to air friction but also to rolling friction and the energy used to change height.You need these factors in your simulation.You also need the dimensions of your wheel ,pedal and sprockets because they determine your energy input if you use cadence as your independent variable. To make this simulation you need to use all the concepts you learned in your first mechanics course.

1. How do you find the speed of an object?

The speed of an object can be calculated by dividing the distance the object has traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This is known as the average speed, and the formula is speed = distance/time.

2. What factors can affect the speed of an object?

The speed of an object can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the object, the force applied to it, and the surface it is traveling on. Other factors include air resistance, friction, and the angle of the surface.

3. How can we determine the speed of an object if there is no distance or time information?

If distance and time information is not available, the speed of an object can still be estimated by measuring the displacement of the object over a period of time. This is known as instantaneous speed, and it can be calculated using the formula speed = displacement/time.

4. Can the speed of an object change over time?

Yes, the speed of an object can change over time. This can happen if the object is accelerating or decelerating, or if external forces such as friction are acting upon it. The change in speed can be calculated using the formula acceleration = change in speed/time.

5. How can we use speed to predict the future position of an object?

By knowing the speed of an object and the time it has been traveling, we can predict its future position. This can be done by multiplying the speed by the time and adding it to the initial position. The formula for this is position = initial position + (speed x time).