Is North Dakota's Status as a State in Question?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State
In summary, John Rolczynski, a resident of Grand Forks, North Dakota, has been trying to inform legislators that an error in the state's founding document means that technically, North Dakota is not a state. This has garnered attention and sparked conversations about the implications of this mistake. Despite Congress always recognizing North Dakota as a state, it appears that they did not meet the criteria for admission to the Union, leading to questions about the legality and consequences of this error.
If North Dakota is not a state, maybe it should just remain whatever it is. With the nation's lowest unemployment rate and a budget surplus, why change now?

http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-21/oil-riches-let-north-dakota-s-governor-dalrymple-bank-surplus-in-hard-time.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The New American said:
That flaw,” writes the Grand Forks Herald, “also could be at odds with Section 4 of the Enabling Act of Feb. 22, 1889, which said North Dakota and the three other territories then under consideration for statehood could not draft a state constitution that went against the national document.”
This doesn't contradict anything I wrote unless Section 4 offers a remedy that includes removing North Dakota's statehood status.

Jimmy Snyder said:
This doesn't contradict anything I wrote unless Section 4 offers a remedy that includes removing North Dakota's statehood status.

Who said anything about changing their status? Didn't I specifically say that we are talking technicalities here?

The point was that they were never eligible in the first place [at least, so it seems to have been successfully argued]. Were this recent history and not a 120 year old mistake, it could easily lead to legal issues of all sorts; from challenges to tax laws, to commerce laws, to election results.

They are moving to change the oath, not to remove a star from the US flag.

Last edited:
Back