Derivative of a Complex Function: Finding f'(1 + i)

In summary, complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that studies functions of complex numbers and their properties. Complex numbers are numbers written in the form a + bi, with a real and imaginary part. It differs from real analysis in that it uses techniques such as Cauchy-Riemann equations and contour integration. Complex analysis has various applications in fields like engineering, physics, and economics. Important theorems in complex analysis include Cauchy integral theorem, Cauchy integral formula, and the residue theorem, among others.
nickolas2730
1. Let f(z) = (3e2z−ie-z)/(z2−1+i) . Find f′(1 + i).

3. Should I sub (1+i) to z and then diff it by i.
Or i need to diff it by z first then sub (1+i) in it at last?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, nickolas2730! :smile:

You need to diff it by z first then sub (1+i) in it at last.

Btw, you can't diff by "i". It is not a variable but a constant.

thank you so much!

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves the investigation of complex-valued functions and their properties, such as differentiability, integration, and convergence.

2. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1). They consist of a real part (a) and an imaginary part (bi).

3. What is the difference between real analysis and complex analysis?

Real analysis deals with the study of real-valued functions, while complex analysis deals with the study of complex-valued functions. Additionally, complex analysis involves the use of techniques such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations and contour integration, which are not used in real analysis.

4. What are some applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has various applications in different fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. It is used to solve problems involving electric circuits, fluid dynamics, signal processing, and many others. It is also essential in the study of quantum mechanics and general relativity.

5. What are some important theorems in complex analysis?

Some important theorems in complex analysis include the Cauchy integral theorem, Cauchy integral formula, and the residue theorem. These theorems are used to evaluate complex integrals and to calculate the values of functions at certain points. Other important theorems include the maximum modulus theorem, Rouche's theorem, and the fundamental theorem of algebra.