Mathmatical proofs help please

• Thread starter sphelan08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
A set is countable if its cardinality is a natural number or 0. A set is uncountable if its cardinality is not a natural number or 0. The union of two sets A and B is the set of all elements that are in A or B.In summary, mathematical proofs involve using definitions of key terms such as uncountable, countable, finite, infinite, and cardinality to prove statements or answer questions. To prove that two uncountable sets have the same cardinality, one could use the fact that a countable union of countable sets is countable. Additionally, the cardinality of a finite set is simply the number of elements in that set, while a set is countable if its
sphelan08
Mathmatical proofs help please!

1. Must two uncountable sets have the same cardinality?
a countable union of countable sets is countable.
Is a finite set necessarily countable?
If the union of A and B is infinite, then A or B must be inifinte

2. Just use definitions of Uncountable, Countable, finite, and infinite, and cardinality to do these proofs.

3. I know what the answers are just by thinking but I cannot prove the answers please help or I will fail

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, state the definitions, then state what you are thinking and try to use the definitions to prove what you thinking. You have to give us something to go on.

The cardinality of a finite set is just the number of elements of that set.

1. What is a mathematical proof?

A mathematical proof is a rigorous and logical argument that demonstrates the truth or validity of a mathematical statement or theorem. It involves using specific rules and techniques to show that a statement or theorem is true in all cases.

2. Why are mathematical proofs important?

Mathematical proofs are important because they provide a way to verify the accuracy and validity of mathematical statements and theorems. They help to establish a solid foundation for further mathematical discoveries and advancements.

3. How do I write a mathematical proof?

To write a mathematical proof, you must first understand the statement or theorem you are trying to prove. Then, you must use logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to demonstrate the truth of the statement. It is important to clearly state each step and provide evidence for your claims.

4. Are there different types of mathematical proofs?

Yes, there are different types of mathematical proofs, such as direct proofs, indirect proofs, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction. Each type uses different methods and techniques to prove a statement or theorem.

5. How do I know if my mathematical proof is correct?

A good mathematical proof should be clear, concise, and logically sound. It should also provide evidence for each step and clearly explain how the conclusion follows from the given statements. It is important to double check your work and make sure all assumptions and rules are correctly applied.