Thrust calculation assistance.

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to calculate the amount of thrust needed to lift 150kg for a flying jetpack device. The person is looking for a simple explanation or a resource on thrust mechanics. It is suggested to convert the weight into lbs for a basic understanding of the required thrust.
FarleShadow
Hello!
New poster here with a problem (No, not a homework, its a tinker problem)

Basically, I've been trying to work out how much thrust would be required to lift 150kg and make it fly around (jetpack hypothetical), assuming that there is zero lift and constant thrust from the engine/s on the person.

Now I've found several ducted fan's, but I haven't found a calculation that would translate their 'Static thrust: 2.7 lbs' into something I could work with.

What I'd really like is a simple, easy to follow explanation on thrust mechanics for dummies :p
Failing that, a link and alittle hint :)

Regards,
Farle.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you're looking for an answer in lbs, then just convert the 150 kg into lbs, and that's at least how much you will need to get off the ground. Ideally more if you want to be able to move around and accelerate.

1. What is thrust calculation assistance?

Thrust calculation assistance is a process used in the field of aerospace engineering to determine the amount of thrust required for an aircraft or spacecraft to achieve its desired acceleration or velocity. It involves complex mathematical equations and considerations of various factors such as air density, weight, and drag.

2. Why is thrust calculation assistance important?

Thrust calculation assistance is important because it ensures that an aircraft or spacecraft is able to achieve its desired performance and reach its destination safely. It helps engineers design and optimize propulsion systems to provide the necessary amount of thrust for efficient and effective operation.

3. What factors are involved in thrust calculation assistance?

Thrust calculation assistance takes into account various factors including air density, weight, drag, velocity, and acceleration. Other factors such as altitude, temperature, and atmospheric conditions may also be considered depending on the specific application.

4. How is thrust calculated?

Thrust is calculated using the basic formula F=ma, where F is the force (thrust) required, m is the mass of the object, and a is the desired acceleration. In aerospace engineering, this formula is modified to take into account other factors such as air density, drag, and velocity, resulting in a more complex equation.

5. Can thrust calculation assistance be used for all types of vehicles?

Thrust calculation assistance can be used for various types of vehicles, including aircraft, rockets, and satellites. However, the specific equations and considerations may differ depending on the type of vehicle and its intended use. Therefore, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the specific application when performing thrust calculations.