Physical meaning of the extremums of the Van Der Waals equation

In summary, the extremums in the Van Der Waals equation represent the points where the equation changes from concave to convex or vice versa, and correspond to the critical temperature and pressure of a substance. These extremums play a crucial role in determining the unique physical properties of a substance at its critical point. They can also be used to predict phase transitions and are important in thermodynamics for providing a more accurate representation of real gases. However, the Van Der Waals equation has limitations, such as assuming spherical gas molecules and not accounting for high pressure or low temperature effects.
Lindsayyyy
Hi everyone,

Homework Statement

When I draw an isotherm into a p-V diagram I have to extrem values. If I do an experiment I won't find any extremum, because the van der waals equation isotherm is just theoretical (it's just a line in an experiment).
However, I want to know the 'physical' meaning of the extremums, what do they mean?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

As I don't have statisical mechanics/theoretical thermodynamics during my study I just get to know the basics in thermodynamics. I asked some friends of mine though they don't know the answer either. We thought about the following: When I approch the isotherm from the right I will find a maximum. This could be, because some of the particles start to condensate while others are still gaseous. That was the only idea we got, but I don't think that's the answer.

Can anyone try to help me out?

Thanks for you help

Physics news on Phys.org
and for sharing your question on the forum. The extremums on an isotherm in a p-V diagram represent the points at which the system undergoes a phase transition. This means that the state of the system changes from one phase to another (e.g. from gas to liquid) at these points. These transitions occur due to changes in the intermolecular forces between particles in the system. At the maximum, the system is at the point of saturation, where the gas and liquid phases are in equilibrium. At the minimum, the system is at the point of critical temperature, where the gas and liquid phases have the same density and are indistinguishable.

In an experiment, these points may not be observed because the system may not be at the exact conditions required for a phase transition to occur. However, the van der Waals equation takes into account the effects of intermolecular forces and can show the presence of these extremums. So while they may not be physically observed, they represent important points in the behavior of the system. I hope this helps to clarify the meaning of the extremums on an isotherm.

1. What is the physical significance of the extremums in the Van Der Waals equation?

The extremums in the Van Der Waals equation represent the points where the equation changes from concave to convex or vice versa. These points correspond to the critical temperature and pressure of a substance, where it transitions from a gas to a liquid state or vice versa.

2. How do the extremums affect the behavior of a substance?

The extremums in the Van Der Waals equation play a crucial role in determining the behavior of a substance. At the critical point, the substance exhibits unique physical properties, such as equal liquid and gas densities and a vanishing surface tension.

3. Can the extremums of the Van Der Waals equation be used to predict phase transitions?

Yes, the extremums of the Van Der Waals equation can be used to predict the conditions at which a substance will undergo a phase transition. By plotting the equation and identifying the extremum points, scientists can determine the critical temperature and pressure of a substance.

4. Why is the Van Der Waals equation important in thermodynamics?

The Van Der Waals equation is important in thermodynamics because it provides a more accurate representation of the behavior of real gases compared to the ideal gas law. It takes into account the attractive forces between gas molecules and allows for the prediction of phase transitions and critical points.

5. Are there any limitations to the Van Der Waals equation and its extremums?

Yes, there are limitations to the Van Der Waals equation and its extremums. The equation assumes that gas molecules are spherical and do not interact with each other except through intermolecular forces. It also does not take into account the effects of high pressure or low temperature on the behavior of a substance.