Finding the stable line of a Glide reflection

In summary, the given matrix D is an indirect isometry with no fixed points, making it a glide reflection. To find the stable lines, the inverse matrix and eigenvalues were calculated. However, the equations for the stable lines did not result in a family of parallel lines, making it difficult to determine the stable lines. Further explanation is needed on how to find the stable line from the given equations.
kungfu420
1. For the following matrix, determine whether it is a translation, rotation, mirror reflection, or a glide reflection and find its fixed points and stable lines.

Homework Equations

Given the matrix D=
.8, .6, 2
.6, -.8, 1
0, 0, 1

The Attempt at a Solution

First I got determinant of the matrix which is -1, so the it must be an indirect isometry. Next I found that it has no fixed points by setting D*(u, v, 1) = (u, v, 1).
i.e. u = .8u + .6v +2, and v = .6u - .8v + 1
I solved for u and got u = 3v + 10, then plugging the new u into the 2nd equation I got that v = v +7. Hence there are no fixed points, and therefore it is a glide reflection.

Next to find the stable lines I found the inverse matrix which was,
.8, .6, -2.2
.6, -.8, -.4
0, 0, 1

Then I found the eigenvalues which are 1 and -1. From there I plugged them into the equation D-1 - Iλ. For λ=1 the matrix was

-.2, .6, -2.2
.6, -1.8, -.4
0, 0, 0
and for λ=-1 the matrix was

1.8, .6, -2.2
.6, .2, -.4
0, 0, 2

I then multiplied the matrices by [a, b, c] which gave me

-.2a + .6b = 0 ====> b = 1/3a
.6a - 1.8b = 0 ====> b = 1/3a
-2.2a -.4b = 0 ====> b = -5.5a
for λ=1 and

1.8a + .6b = 0 ====> b = -3a
.6a + .2b = 0 ====> b = -3a
-2.2a -.4b +2c = 0 ===> b = -5.5a -5c
for λ=-1

This is where I become confused. I know that if they b equaled 1/3a for all 3 equations then there would be a family of parallel lines [a, 1/3a, c] but that is not the case and therefore I am stumped.

I know that glide reflections have 1 stable line but I'm not sure how to go about finding it from these equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please explain how to find the stable line from the equations I have provided? Thank you in advance.

1. What is a glide reflection?

A glide reflection is a type of transformation in geometry that combines a reflection and a translation. It involves reflecting an object over a line and then translating it parallel to that line by a certain distance.

2. How do you find the stable line of a glide reflection?

The stable line of a glide reflection is the line that remains unchanged after the transformation. To find it, you can either visualize the movement of the object or use algebraic methods to solve for the line of symmetry.

3. Why is it important to find the stable line of a glide reflection?

Knowing the stable line of a glide reflection can help in identifying and understanding the properties and symmetries of an object. It also allows for easier visualization and manipulation of the object in geometric constructions.

4. What is the difference between a glide reflection and a regular reflection?

A regular reflection involves flipping an object over a line of symmetry, while a glide reflection involves both a reflection and a translation. In a glide reflection, the object is also moved parallel to the line of reflection, resulting in a different final position than a regular reflection.

5. Can you give an example of a real-life application of a glide reflection?

One example of a real-life application of a glide reflection is in architecture. Many modern buildings use glide reflection symmetry in their design, such as skyscrapers with identical floors that are shifted slightly from one another. This creates a sense of movement and adds visual interest to the building's facade.