Need advice from mech/aero space engineers

In summary, a sophomore in college should focus on learning MATLAB and SolidWorks, programming languages, and CATIA V7. 6CDs.
Physics_wiz
Hello, I'm a sophomore in college getting a dual degree in mechanical/aerospace engineering. I pretty much know everything we're doing in classes or everything is really easy so I have a lot of free time on my hands. What do you think I can do that will help me in my future career? I was thinking about getting a program like mathematica and playing around with it or reading online about engines and how they work and stuff but I think I'll just learn about those things down the road. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics_wiz said:
Hello, I'm a sophomore in college getting a dual degree in mechanical/aerospace engineering. I pretty much know everything we're doing in classes or everything is really easy so I have a lot of free time on my hands. What do you think I can do that will help me in my future career? I was thinking about getting a program like mathematica and playing around with it or reading online about engines and how they work and stuff but I think I'll just learn about those things down the road. What do you think?

I'd focus on the things you "don't have time for" or don't bump into down the road ... like math and everything which helps you in building up a good theoretical - basis. "Later in life" it seems that the threshold for learning & finding the time for this type material is really hard to come by ("disclaimer" : this is just me and I typically overemphasize theory, let's see what others have to say).

Right now, the soph. level is just finishing up the pre-requisites and the basic engineering classes. You haven't really gotten to the meat and potatoes of the curricula. I'd say that if you have free time, enjoy it while you can (possibly spend some time studying the definition of "humility"), because it won't/shouldn't last. Even if you perfectly understood every topic presented to you, there should be enough homework, reports, projects, etc... to keep you burried for quite a while.

BTW...what exactly is your desired career?

Free time? On an engineering degree? Are you sure you have the right timetable?

Well, if you insist!

Learn how to use MathCad, then Matlab. Then learn Solidworks, Pro Engineer and AutoCAD. Next, learn how to use Fluent and Ansys, or some other CFD and FEA packages. Perhaps learn some programming languages.

Once you've done all that, go out and have a beer.

FredGarvin said:
BTW...what exactly is your desired career?
I just want to be a mechanical or aerospace engineer. Actually, I'm more into designing stuff but I don't mind getting my hands dirty.

FredGarvin said:
(possibly spend some time studying the definition of "humility")

Trust me, if I were in MIT and had free time, I would be drinking beer. However, I'm not at the best University/college out there (one of the top party schools :biggrin: ) and just don't want to be behind when I graduate.

Last edited:
what college do you go to?

I go to WVU.

I don't know man, i mean really what's the point of majoing in two very close Engineerings. If i were would i'd pick up a degree in Physics or something like that, it would better suite you in the long run.

I was contemplating a decision between a physics degree and a Mechanical Engineering degree for my university. In the end, I decided to go with the engineering degree because there are no jobs in physics. Sure its fun as hell and you do what you love but there is no money in it unless you work for a large company as a senior physicist.

Regards,

Nenad

I'd say learn MATLAB and SolidWorks. I am a freshman right now, and I use both of those a lot both for class and for a club.

Also C++ programming is a good idea to learn. It is free to get the compiler, I think it is off www.bloodshed.net

Then just get a book and learn how to start programming.

you should try CATIA V7. 6CD's for installation. Crazy program to learn. Solid Works is also good one. I really like the finite element anaysis it offers.

Regards,

Nenad

Nenad said:
you should try CATIA V7. 6CD's for installation. Crazy program to learn. Solid Works is also good one. I really like the finite element anaysis it offers.

The COSMOS part of solidworks has crashed my computer before, so make sure you have LOTS of memory.

1. What are the necessary qualifications to become a mechanical/aerospace engineer?

The minimum requirement to become a mechanical/aerospace engineer is a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. However, many employers prefer candidates with a master's degree or higher. Additionally, strong skills in math, physics, and computer-aided design (CAD) are essential for this field.

2. Can you provide some career advice for aspiring mech/aero space engineers?

To succeed as a mechanical/aerospace engineer, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science. It is also beneficial to gain experience through internships or co-op programs during your education. Networking and staying up-to-date with industry advancements and technologies can also help in securing job opportunities.

3. What are some key skills that are necessary for a career in mechanical/aerospace engineering?

Some key skills that are necessary for a career in mechanical/aerospace engineering include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, creativity, and strong communication and teamwork abilities. Additionally, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software and knowledge of industry-specific technologies are important.

4. What are the different career paths within the field of mechanical/aerospace engineering?

There are various career paths within the field of mechanical/aerospace engineering, including design and development, testing and evaluation, research and development, and manufacturing and production. Additionally, some engineers may specialize in a specific area such as propulsion, materials, or structures.

5. How do I stay updated with advancements in the mechanical/aerospace engineering industry?

To stay updated with advancements in the industry, it is important to attend conferences, workshops, and seminars, and to read industry publications and research papers. Networking with other professionals in the field can also provide valuable insights and knowledge. Additionally, keeping up with technology trends and advancements in related fields can also be beneficial.