Noether's Theorem For Functionals of Several Variables

In summary, the statement of the multivariable Noether I know is that, for \mathcal{L} = \mathcal{L}(x_i,u_j,\frac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i})we have that \sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\left[\sum_{j=1}^m \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\tfrac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i})}\left(\frac{\partial u_j^*}{\partial \varepsilon_k} - \
bolbteppa
My question is on using a form of the single variable Noether's theorem to remember the multiple variable version.

Noether's theorem, for functionals of a single independent variable, can be translated into saying that, because [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] is invariant, we have

[tex]\mathcal{L}(x,y_i,y_i')dx = \sum_{j=1}^n p_i d y_j - \mathcal{H}dx = \mathcal{L}(x^*,y_i^*,y_i'^*)dx^* = \sum_{i=1}^n p_i d y_i^* - \mathcal{H}dx^* = C[/tex]

It is usually stated by saying that

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial ( \tfrac{d y_i}{dx})} \frac{\partial y_i^*}{\partial \varepsilon} - \left[\sum_{j=1}^n \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial ( \tfrac{d y_j}{dx})} \tfrac{\partial y_j }{\partial x} - \mathcal{L}\right]\frac{\partial x^*}{\partial \varepsilon}[/tex]

is conserved, but this seems to be equivalent to what I've written above.

(I've offered a hopefully unnecessary explanation of the details of the equivalence, posed as a question, http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/787011/noethers-theorem-for-functionals-of-several-variables ).

I like the above expression, it's great for remembering Noether's theorem.

Can we generalize it to functionals of several variables?

The statement of the multivariable Noether I know is that, for

[tex]\mathcal{L} = \mathcal{L}(x_i,u_j,\frac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i})[/tex]

we have that

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\left[\sum_{j=1}^m \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\tfrac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i})}\left(\frac{\partial u_j^*}{\partial \varepsilon_k} - \sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i}\frac{\partial x_i^*}{\partial \varepsilon _k}\right) + \mathcal{L}\frac{\partial x_i^*}{\partial \varepsilon _k}\right] = 0[/tex]

I can hardly remember this, and as I've indexed it I can't turn it into anything involving what I *think* is the Hamiltonian for a functional of several independent variables

[tex]\mathcal{H} = \sum_{j=1}^np_{ij}\frac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i} - \mathcal{L} = \sum_{j=1}^n \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\tfrac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i})}\frac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i} - \mathcal{L}[/tex]

Can this be turned into something similar to my main equation, perhaps using [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex]'s or [itex]g_{\mu \nu}[/itex]'s or something?

An attempt:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\left[\sum_{j=1}^m \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\tfrac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i})}\left(\frac{\partial u_j^*}{\partial \varepsilon_k} - \sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i}\frac{\partial x_i^*}{\partial \varepsilon _k}\right) + \mathcal{L}\frac{\partial x_i^*}{\partial \varepsilon _k}\right] = 0[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\left[\sum_{j=1}^m \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\tfrac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i})}\left(d u_j^* - \sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i}d x_i^* \right) + \mathcal{L}d x_i^* \right] = 0[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\left[\sum_{j=1}^m \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\tfrac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i})}d u_j^* - \sum_{k=1}^m \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\tfrac{\partial u_k}{\partial x_i})}\sum_{l=1}^n\frac{\partial u_k}{\partial x_l}d x_l^* + \mathcal{L}d x_i^* \right] = 0[/tex][tex]\sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\left[\sum_{j=1}^m \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\tfrac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i})}d u_j^* - \sum_{k=1}^m \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\tfrac{\partial u_k}{\partial x_i})}\sum_{l=1}^n\frac{\partial u_k}{\partial x_l}d x_l^* + \sum_{l=1}^n\delta^l_i \mathcal{L}d x_l^* \right] = 0[/tex][tex]\sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\left[\sum_{j=1}^m \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\tfrac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i})}d u_j^* - \sum_{l=1}^n (\sum_{k=1}^m \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\tfrac{\partial u_k}{\partial x_i})}\frac{\partial u_k}{\partial x_l} - \delta^l_i \mathcal{L})d x_l^* \right] = 0[/tex][tex]\sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\left[\sum_{j=1}^m \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\tfrac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i})}d u_j^* - \sum_{l=1}^n \mathcal{H}d x_l^* \right] = 0.[/tex][tex]\sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\left[\sum_{j=1}^m p_{ij}d u_j^* - \sum_{l=1}^n \mathcal{H}d x_l^* \right] = 0.[/tex]

I don't know if that's right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Brilliant, thank you.

1. What is Noether's Theorem for Functionals of Several Variables?

Noether's Theorem is a fundamental principle in mathematics and physics that relates symmetries in a system to conserved quantities. It states that for every continuous symmetry of a functional of several variables, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity.

2. How does Noether's Theorem apply to functionals of several variables?

Noether's Theorem applies to functionals of several variables in the same way as it applies to single-variable functions. The only difference is that the functional of several variables takes into account the variation of the function with respect to each variable.

3. What are some examples of symmetries in functionals of several variables?

Some examples of symmetries in functionals of several variables include translational symmetry, rotational symmetry, and scale symmetry. These symmetries can be described by transformations that leave the functional unchanged.

4. How is Noether's Theorem used in practical applications?

Noether's Theorem has many practical applications in physics, such as in the study of conservation laws in classical mechanics and in the development of field theories in quantum mechanics. It is also used in the study of symmetries in dynamical systems and in mathematical optimization problems.

5. Are there any limitations to Noether's Theorem for functionals of several variables?

One limitation to Noether's Theorem for functionals of several variables is that it only applies to continuous symmetries. It also assumes that the functional is invariant under the symmetry transformation. In addition, the theorem may not hold for some complex systems with multiple symmetries.