Problem with titration problem Please HELP

• Thread starter philipisaia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, the student is seeking help with a titration problem in their AS level chemistry coursework. They performed an experiment using MHCO3 and aqueous sulphuric acid and need to calculate the number of moles of sulphuric acid and MHCO3, as well as the concentration and relative molecular mass of MHCO3. They are seeking assistance through a forum post or email.
philipisaia
Problem with titration problem Please HELP!

Hi,

In our AS level chemistry coursework we have performed the following experiment.

We took 2.00g of MHCO3 where M stands for a group 1 metal.
We put it in 250ml volumetric flask and we produced our standard solution.

Then in a conical flask we put 25ml of MHCO3 and 4 drops of methyl orange indicator.
Using aqueous sulphuric acid of concentration 0.050 mol/dm3 we performed three titrations.
My mean titre value came out to be 25.225ml

Here are the questions I have to solve.

a) Calculate the amount (number of moles) of sulphuric acid in the mean titre.
b) Calculate the amount (number of moles) of MHCO3 in 25ml of solution X where X stands for the standard solution in the volumetric flask.
c) Calculate the concentration of MHCO3 in solution X in mol/dm3. Use this value to calculate the relative molecular mass of MHCO3 and then identify M.

Please help me and try to solve this for me as soon as possible. :cry: :cry: :cry: For any question put a reply on this forum or send me and e-mail to philip@philippos.net

Physics news on Phys.org
Threre a lot of helpful people here. In order to get some replies you need to show your thoughts first.
I would check out this post: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94384

Hi there,

I understand that you are having trouble with a titration problem. Titration problems can be tricky, but with a little bit of practice and understanding of the concepts, you will be able to solve them easily.

Firstly, to calculate the amount of sulphuric acid in the mean titre, we need to use the formula:

Number of moles = concentration (in mol/dm3) x volume (in dm3)

In this case, the concentration of sulphuric acid is given as 0.050 mol/dm3 and the volume used is 25.225ml, which is equal to 0.025225dm3. Plugging these values into the formula, we get:

Number of moles = 0.050 mol/dm3 x 0.025225dm3 = 0.00126 moles

This is the amount of sulphuric acid in the mean titre.

Next, to calculate the amount of MHCO3 in 25ml of solution X, we need to use the same formula:

However, in this case, we do not know the concentration of solution X. To find it, we need to use the concept of stoichiometry. From the balanced chemical equation, we know that the ratio of sulphuric acid to MHCO3 is 1:1. This means that for every 1 mole of sulphuric acid used, 1 mole of MHCO3 is consumed.

Since we know the number of moles of sulphuric acid (0.00126 moles), we can also say that the number of moles of MHCO3 is also 0.00126 moles. Now, plugging this value into the formula, we get:

0.00126 moles = concentration (in mol/dm3) x 0.025dm3

Solving for concentration, we get:

Concentration = 0.00126 moles / 0.025dm3 = 0.0504 mol/dm3

This is the concentration of solution X.

To calculate the relative molecular mass of MHCO3, we need to use the formula:

Relative molecular mass = mass (in grams) / number of moles

We know the mass

1. What is titration and why is it important in science?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. It is important in science because it allows for precise and accurate measurements of substances, which is crucial in many fields such as chemistry, biochemistry, and environmental science.

2. What are some common problems with titration and how can they be resolved?

Some common problems with titration include human error, incorrect calculations, and equipment malfunctions. These can be resolved by carefully following the experimental procedure, double-checking calculations, and regularly calibrating equipment.

3. How do you know when the endpoint of a titration has been reached?

The endpoint of a titration is reached when the indicator used changes color, indicating that the reaction is complete. Another way to determine the endpoint is by using a pH meter to measure the pH of the solution, which will show a sudden change when the endpoint is reached.

4. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of titration results?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of titration results include temperature, air bubbles in the burette or pipette, and the quality of the chemicals used. It is important to control these factors as much as possible to ensure accurate results.

5. How can I improve my titration technique?

To improve your titration technique, you can practice regularly and pay close attention to the experimental procedure. It is also helpful to have a partner to assist with the titration, as this can reduce the chances of human error. Additionally, regularly calibrating equipment and using high-quality chemicals can also improve the accuracy of your results.