Balancing Redox Equations: Half Reaction Method

• Thread starter Soaring Crane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redox
In summary, the conversation is about finding the correct method for balancing a net ionic equation in acidic solution. The individual is struggling with using either half reactions or the oxidation number method and is seeking help to divide the equation into two reactions. They mention the importance of including H+ or H3O+ to balance the equation and the need for the same number of atoms on both sides. They also mention the use of H2O in balancing equations.
Soaring Crane
I have been staring at the following problem, and I can't seem to get the correct answer. I tried using half reactions and the oxidation number method, but I don't know which works best.

Write balance net ionic equations for reaction in acidic solution.

ClO3- (aq) + As2S3 (s) --> Cl- (aq) + H2AsO4- (aq) + HSO4- (aq)

For the half reaction method, which 2 reactions do I divide this into?
I tried this way,

ClO3- --> Cl-
As2S3 --> H2AsO4- + HSO4-

but I suppose this is wrong.

Any help, especially with the half reaction method, is welcome and needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any volunteers?

Thanks again.

It would seem one needs H+ or H3O+ to balance the equation.

The number of atoms must be the same on both sides.

Also on could use H2O also, as in CaO + H2O -> Ca(OH)2

What is a redox equation?

A redox equation is a chemical equation that shows the transfer of electrons between reactants and products. This type of reaction involves the oxidation and reduction of elements.

Why is balancing a redox equation important?

Balancing a redox equation is important because it ensures that the number of atoms, charge, and mass are conserved on both sides of the equation. This allows us to accurately predict the products of a reaction and determine the amount of each substance needed.

What is the process for balancing a redox equation?

The process for balancing a redox equation involves identifying the elements that are oxidized and reduced, balancing the atoms and charges on each side of the equation, and then balancing the number of electrons transferred using the half-reaction method or the oxidation number method.

What are the different methods for balancing a redox equation?

The two main methods for balancing a redox equation are the half-reaction method and the oxidation number method. The half-reaction method involves breaking the equation into two separate half-reactions and balancing the atoms and charges in each half-reaction before combining them. The oxidation number method involves assigning oxidation numbers to each element and using them to determine the number of electrons transferred in the reaction.

How do you know when a redox equation is balanced?

A redox equation is balanced when the number of atoms, charge, and mass are equal on both sides of the equation. This can be confirmed by checking that the oxidation numbers are balanced and that the number of electrons transferred in the reaction is the same in both the oxidation and reduction half-reactions.