Calculate the pH-value of a solution that does not contain water

• Thread starter broegger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the pH-value of a solution containing BaCO3 and SrCO3 dissolved in acetic acid. It is mentioned that half of the acetic acid is consumed in the reaction and that the effective Molarity of the solution may be 2 M. The conversation also touches on the concept of buffered solutions and provides references for further reading.
broegger
Hi,

How do one calculate the pH-value of a solution that does not contain water, pH being equal to -log([H3O+])?

I need to calculate the pH-value of a solution where BaCO3 and SrCO3 is dissolved in acetic acid (4 M). The only information I am given is, that half of the acetic acid is consumed in the reaction. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given that the acetic acid is 4 Molar solution, and more likely than not, it is dissolve in water.

Ok, I see. The reaction is this (right?):

CO3^2- + CH3COOH -> HCO3^- CH3COO^-​

How can I determine pH? All I know is that half of the CH3COOH is used up in this reaction.

Last edited:
Thanks, man! :-)

It would appear that the addition of BaCO3 and SrCO3 with acetic acid is a buffered solution, much the same as CaCO3 would buffer aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid).

The solubility constants, Ksp, of BaCO3 and SrCO3 are much lower, 8.1 x 10-9 and 1.6 x 10-9, than the 1.754 x 10-5 at 25°C.

Here are two more references for acid-base solutions and pH.
http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c123/buffer.html
http://www.shodor.org/unchem/basic/ab/

Carbonates will decompose in acetic acid. You will be left with acetic buffer.

Although in so concentrated solution ionic strength is too high for any serious calculations.

1. What is the pH-value and why is it important?

The pH-value is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is important because it affects many chemical and biological processes, and can have an impact on the environment and our health.

2. Is it possible for a solution to not contain water?

Yes, there are some non-aqueous solutions that do not contain water, such as liquid ammonia or hydrochloric acid in an organic solvent.

3. How do you calculate the pH-value of a solution without water?

The pH-value of a solution without water can be calculated by using the equation: pH = -log[H+], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. This can be determined using the acid dissociation constant (Ka) for the solute and the concentration of the solute in the solution.

4. Can the pH-value of a solution without water be negative?

Yes, since the pH-value is based on a logarithmic scale, it is possible for a solution without water to have a negative pH-value. This indicates a highly acidic solution with a high concentration of hydrogen ions.

5. How does the pH-value of a solution without water differ from a solution with water?

The pH-value of a solution without water is determined solely by the concentration of hydrogen ions, while the pH-value of a solution with water is also affected by the concentration of hydroxide ions. Additionally, the scale for non-aqueous solutions may differ from the traditional pH scale (0-14) used for aqueous solutions.