Normal Mode Analysis: Basics & Applications

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of normal mode analysis for finding the vibrations of a complex molecule. The recommended method is calculating the Hessian matrix and using group theoretical methods. The conversation also mentions the use of programs and basis sets, as well as the need for a careful understanding of energy calculations. Several books are recommended as resources for NMA. There is also a mention of difficulties with manually calculating NMA.
Rajini
Hi Member,
does anyone have some experience with normal mode analysis?I need to know from basics...i want to use this analysis for finding the vibrations of a complex molecule...(may be by using Urey- force constants,etc..or if u know any other method !).

eagerly waiting
Rajini

Physics news on Phys.org
you will be interested in calculating the Hessian matrix (i.e. the second derivatives of the energy with respect to the position and/or relative coordinates). in the harmonic approximation, the eigenvalues of the hessian will yield the spring constants (which is sounds like you are looking for).

a good intro is "Molecular Vibrations" by Wilson, Decius and Cross. also, there is a set of books on diatomic spectra by Herzberg...but really, there are a myriad of sources on NMA out there (another Dover book is "Symmetry and Spectroscopy" by Harris/Bertolucci).

most ab initio programs will calculate the hessian matrix for you, but you will need to have a careful understanding of how the energy is being (hopefully accurately) calculated.

also, most basis sets tend to overestimate the vibrational modes and so typically 6-31G* basis sets are used and then an empirical scaling factor of 0.89 is applied (i know this sounds hokey, but this is how we parameterize modern force fields).

Group theoretical methods can also prove very useful in this game. If you know the symmetry group of your molecule, this will allow you to find what types of modes can exist.

If you want to calculate the eigenmodes analytically, this can be a problem for even small molecules because you end up needing to solve very high order polynomials. Again, group theory comes to the rescue here allowing analytical expressions for each mode frequency and its corresponding basis of vibrations.

The following texts are very good for this stuff:
J. F. Cornwell, Group theory in physics, vol. 1, (Harcourt Brace Jonavich, London 1984) p. 92, p. 190.

P. P. Teodorescu and N-A. P. Nicorovici, Applications of the theory of groups in mechanics and physics, (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 2004)

thanks

hi thanks for ur reply...now i am on holidays..will try to find those books...after my holidays
thanks again
rajini

that book (by wilson) is really nice..thanks again..also i found another book by nakamoto..which is also good...(basics are same in both books)

hey rajini
sorry cause i didnt reply you. infact, the coordinates that I've calculate it in terms of x,y and z coordinates was it the symmetry coordinates and not the normal coordinates.
actually, I am still searching for a method to calculate it manualy, but it seems that's so hard , cause we should resolve a matrix of the molecular orbitals of the representation A that we have built it based on the x,y and z coordiantes.
i didnt find the method till now, so really sorry.

What is normal mode analysis?

Normal mode analysis is a computational method used in the field of molecular dynamics to study the collective motion of atoms in a molecule or system. It involves calculating the frequencies and amplitudes of the different modes of motion, which can provide valuable insights into the stability, flexibility, and function of a molecule.

How does normal mode analysis work?

Normal mode analysis uses mathematical algorithms and principles from linear algebra and quantum mechanics to calculate the motions of atoms in a molecule. It involves constructing a potential energy matrix and solving for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, which represent the different modes of motion.

What are the applications of normal mode analysis?

Normal mode analysis has various applications in the fields of chemistry, biology, and materials science. It can be used to study protein folding, enzyme reactions, and drug binding, as well as to predict the stability and reactivity of chemical compounds. It is also used in the design and optimization of materials with specific properties.

What are the limitations of normal mode analysis?

Normal mode analysis assumes that the molecule or system is in a harmonic potential, meaning that the energy of the system is directly proportional to the displacement of atoms. This is not always the case in real systems, and therefore the results of normal mode analysis may not accurately reflect the true behavior of the molecule or system.

Are there any alternative methods to normal mode analysis?

Yes, there are alternative methods to normal mode analysis, such as molecular dynamics simulations, which take into account the non-harmonic nature of molecular motion. Other methods include quantum chemistry calculations and experimental techniques like nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. The choice of method depends on the specific research question and the level of detail needed for the analysis.