What am I? Riddles to Test Your Mind

• Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around sharing riddles and trying to guess the answers. The first riddle was about a shadow that can change sizes and cannot be seen if invisible. The second riddle was about teeth that can chomp, stomp, and stand still. The third riddle was about the sun that moves all day and sits under a bed at night. After some discussion, a new riddle was introduced about setting the world on fire and holding animals, and the answer was spark, park, ark. Another riddle was shared about something that goes up the chimney down but not down the chimney up, and the answer was an umbrella or a diaper. Finally, a riddle was mentioned about giving someone half whole and
Schrodinger's Dog
I love riddles and I've heard a few.

So here are a few to be going on with I hope people will post more.

I'm as small as a bug, as big as a dinosaur. I'll approach like a breeze, but can come like a gale. By some I get hit, but all have shown fear. I'll dance to the music, though I can't hear. Of names I have many, of my many names I have one. I'm as slow as a tortoise, but you can't run away from me. What am I?

---------

Thirty white horses on a red hill,
First they may chomp,
Then they may stomp,
Then they stand still.

----------

I run o'er fields and woods all day. Under a bed at night I sit not alone. My tongue hangs out, awaiting to be filled when I rise. What am I?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first, I am going to guess the wind.

Second one, teeth.

I have a good one: I'm small as an apple, but I can fill a room. What am I?

#3 Bogeyman :rofl:

#3 I'm guessing sneakers or sports shoes
werg22 A bottle of perfume the size of an apple?

Last edited:
I guess it makes sense but it's not the answer I am looking for.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I'm as small as a bug, as big as a dinosaur. I'll approach like a breeze, but can come like a gale. By some I get hit, but all have shown fear. I'll dance to the music, though I can't hear. Of names I have many, of my many names I have one. I'm as slow as a tortoise, but you can't run away from me. What am I?
Answer: A shadow.
Werg22 said:
Answer: A dancing hamster.

The fisher's riddle: The ones we catch we throw away, and the ones we don't catch we keep.

thirty white horses

edit.. OK, I won't give it away- but I confirmed my answer with Google.

Ah well done guys only the first one eludes you so here's a clue.

Everything between the sizes mentioned and beyond has one of these. If something is invisible to the naked eye though it wont.

Thought jimmy got the first one.

Keep the ball roling

He did sorry I missed the spoiler; in that case anyone who put up the right answer on the riddles put another one up :smile:

You've asked that riddle before on this very Forum Jimmy, I won't give it away though.

And no forum searching obviously like I just did :smile:

Last edited:
Werg22 said:

A lightbulb?

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I love riddles and I've heard a few.

So here are a few to be going on with I hope people will post more.

I think it's time.

---------

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Thirty white horses on a red hill,
First they may chomp,
Then they may stomp,
Then they stand still.

I agree, it would be one's set of teeth.

----------

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I run o'er fields and woods all day. Under a bed at night I sit not alone. My tongue hangs out, awaiting to be filled when I rise. What am I?

I think it's the sun?

Last edited:
How about this one:

Tho' I be small, when entire,
Have force to set the world afire;
Take of a letter and t'is clear,
My confines can hold a herd of deer;
Take of another and you'll see,
I once held all humanity.

DyslexicHobo got it right.

bel said:
Tho' I be small, when entire,
Have force to set the world afire;
Take of a letter and t'is clear,
My confines can hold a herd of deer;
Take of another and you'll see,
I once held all humanity.
Answer: spark, park, ark

Might be a good idea if whoever gets the last riddle, gives a new riddle or delegates to anyone.

The answer To Jimmys Fishermans riddle is:[color="#black"]fleas[/color]

If you want to put one up though Jimmy go ahead.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
If you want to put one up though Jimmy go ahead.
What goes up the chimney down, but not down the chimney up?

jimmysnyder said:
What goes up the chimney down, but not down the chimney up?

It's an umbrella, come on you guys that ones a classic?

Here's one: -

The man who invented it does not want it. The man who bought it does not need it. The man who needs it does not know it. What is it?

I like this riddle. :smile:

An asylum for the insane? or is it a coffin?

Yup correct :smile: a coffin. If you like Bel put up a riddle.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Yup correct :smile: a coffin. If you like Bel put up a riddle.
I thought it was a diaper.

Ha, I guess a diaper would work wouldn't it. :-)

Yeah it's like the fisherman's riddle there's more than one answer.

If no one wants to put one up, then Jimmy can go, his answer is fine. :smile:

How come I gave my wife half whole and half half and half.

Well I'm sure there's some clever item, but since half whole is half, half of that is a quarter and half of that again is an eighth you could do it that way? But I fear there is some clever word play answer involving some mysterious object like some weird zygote thing.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
But I fear there is some clever word play answer involving some mysterious object like some weird zygote thing.
Clever, yes (well I think so anyway. I made it up myself). Mysterious, no. And not a zygote. Would it help to point out that we were in a book store at the time? No, it would probably mislead.

jimmysnyder said:
Would it help to point out that we were in a book store at the time? No, it would probably mislead.
Well, thanks for that :smile:

Should this be thought of as more a lateral thinkin/situation type puzzle or something else?

jimmysnyder said:
Would it help to point out that we were in a book store at the time? No, it would probably mislead.

Yeah, I'm guessing it would be more of a hint to point out that you thought of it in a different type of store. But book stores these days DO provide opportunity to support this type of inspiration, I suppose.

DaveE

Mk said:
Should this be thought of as more a lateral thinkin/situation type puzzle or something else?
Good point. I still think it's a riddle, but maybe it works better as a lateral thinking puzzle. I don't think it's particularly hard though in any case.

whole milk and half and half sugar? coffee? @#$$%? I'm confused

SpitfireAce said:
whole milk and half and half sugar? coffee? @#$$%? I'm confused

I think you might be onto something but not knowing American jargon when it comes to coffee, I'd be lost.

We have semi skimmed milk and skimmed milk but not half caf whatever foul brew that is? Half half? Gord knows Pfft :smile:

Yeah, it's American. Don't look at the answer below if you are American.

I was at a bookstore that has a cafe in it when my wife asked me to get her a coffee with half and half in it. Half and half is a mixture of half cream and half whole milk. The cafe serves coffee, but you have to put the milk and sugar in yourself. There were three containers, one marked whole (meaning whole milk), one marked skim (meaning milk with the cream skimmed off), and one marked half and half. The latter was nearly empty and that's why I gave her half "whole" and half "half and half".

eom.

im american but I have no clue what eom means

SpitfireAce said:
im american but I have no clue what eom means

I think you got it right anyway or you were on the right lines, eom means end of message, that's just internet jargon, feel free to put up a riddle if you want. :smile:

Here's a surprisingly subtle and rich logic puzzle, based on one that you can find in various places:
Imagine a tribe of people who are legendary logicians, but who have a curious religious commitment that if they are ever able to determine the color of their own eyes, they must commit ritual suicide in front of the whole tribe at the tribe's daily meeting. The tribe lives on an island with virtually no contact with the outside world, they have no mirrors or reflecting surfaces (for obvious reasons), and they never discuss eye color in any way because they all know what great logical brains they have and so are very hesitant to give away any clues about eye color.

One day, a well-meaning anthropologist visits the tribe, and at their morning meeting, gets up and makes an effort at good relations by saying "Your people and mine are not so different. For example, I see that you have both brown-eyed and blue-eyed people in your tribe, just like I do in my own family". A gasp goes out in the crowd, and the expressions of these logical thinkers rapidly becomes as dark as a grave. The curse of the tribe's commitment is explained to the observer, and he says, "sorry, I didn't realize, but you can all see that what I said is true. So why is everyone acting so crestfallen?"

Let's say the tribe has 20 members, and 5 have blue eyes. The puzzle has two parts:
1) what is going to happen to this tribe that is so awful?
2) what information did the visitor give that the tribe did not already know?

Last edited:
<h2>What is a "What am I?" riddle?</h2><p>A "What am I?" riddle is a type of brain teaser or puzzle that presents a description or set of clues about a specific object, person, or concept. The goal is to use critical thinking and deductive reasoning to figure out the answer to the riddle.</p><h2>How do "What am I?" riddles work?</h2><p>"What am I?" riddles typically follow a specific format where the riddle-giver provides a series of clues or descriptions about the answer. The clues may be in the form of statements, questions, or rhymes. The answer to the riddle is usually a noun or a phrase that fits all of the given clues.</p><h2>What skills do "What am I?" riddles test?</h2><p>"What am I?" riddles can test a variety of skills, including critical thinking, deductive reasoning, lateral thinking, and problem-solving. They also require a good understanding of language and the ability to make connections between seemingly unrelated clues.</p><h2>Are "What am I?" riddles just for entertainment?</h2><p>While "What am I?" riddles can be entertaining, they can also serve as a fun way to exercise the brain and improve cognitive skills. They can also be used as a teaching tool to encourage creative thinking and develop problem-solving abilities.</p><h2>Where can I find "What am I?" riddles?</h2><p>"What am I?" riddles can be found in various sources, including books, websites, and mobile apps. They are also commonly used in educational settings and as icebreaker activities in group settings. You can even create your own riddles using the format and guidelines of "What am I?" riddles.</p>

What is a "What am I?" riddle?

A "What am I?" riddle is a type of brain teaser or puzzle that presents a description or set of clues about a specific object, person, or concept. The goal is to use critical thinking and deductive reasoning to figure out the answer to the riddle.

How do "What am I?" riddles work?

"What am I?" riddles typically follow a specific format where the riddle-giver provides a series of clues or descriptions about the answer. The clues may be in the form of statements, questions, or rhymes. The answer to the riddle is usually a noun or a phrase that fits all of the given clues.

What skills do "What am I?" riddles test?

"What am I?" riddles can test a variety of skills, including critical thinking, deductive reasoning, lateral thinking, and problem-solving. They also require a good understanding of language and the ability to make connections between seemingly unrelated clues.

Are "What am I?" riddles just for entertainment?

While "What am I?" riddles can be entertaining, they can also serve as a fun way to exercise the brain and improve cognitive skills. They can also be used as a teaching tool to encourage creative thinking and develop problem-solving abilities.

Where can I find "What am I?" riddles?

"What am I?" riddles can be found in various sources, including books, websites, and mobile apps. They are also commonly used in educational settings and as icebreaker activities in group settings. You can even create your own riddles using the format and guidelines of "What am I?" riddles.