Chemistry- Selective Precipitation

In summary, the conversation is about a researcher trying to solve a problem involving a solution that is 0.421 M in Hg2(NO3)2 and 0.0191 M in Pb(NO3)2. They plan to add solid potassium iodide to separate the mixture by selective precipitation, but are unsure of the maximum concentration of iodide ions that can be in solution and how much potassium iodide to add. They also discuss the percentage of remaining mercury(I) ions in solution. The conversation includes equations for Ksp and the researcher's attempted solution, which they later realize is incorrect.
lananh

Homework Statement

My molarity is wrong which keeps me from ding the rest of this problem...any help would be greatly appreciated.

A researcher has a 450.0 mL solution that is 0.421 M in Hg2(NO3)2 and 0.0191 M in Pb(NO3)2. She plans to add solid potassium iodide to separate the mixture by selective precipitation.

Ksp PbI2 = 1.4e-8
Ksp Hg2I2 = 1.2e-28

What is the maximum concentration of iodide ions that may be in solution to achieve the best separation possible?

M [I-]= ?

How many grams of potassium iodide should she add to achieve this?

g of KI

What will the percentage of mercury(I) ions remaining in solution be?

% Hg2+2

Homework Equations

ksp= ...

The Attempt at a Solution

hg2i2 = hg2 + 2i
1.2e-28 = [.421]^2
= 1.68e^-14, which is wrong and I have no idea what I am doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
lananh said:

Homework Equations

ksp= ...
Ksp=? Can you write down the expression for a general compound AmBn?

The Attempt at a Solution

hg2i2 = hg2 + 2i
1.2e-28 = [.421]^2
This calculation is not correct. First write down the correct expression for Ksp, then plug in numbers.

thanks, but I already figured that out
I failed to realize it said MAXIMUM
so would be ksp for pbi
= 8.6e-2
but now I am having problems with b and c

1. What is selective precipitation in chemistry?

Selective precipitation is a process in which a specific substance is separated from a solution by causing it to form a solid precipitate. This is achieved by adding a precipitating reagent that reacts with the desired substance, causing it to become insoluble and separate from the solution.

2. What are some common applications of selective precipitation?

Selective precipitation is often used in analytical chemistry to isolate and identify specific substances in a mixture. It is also used in industrial processes to purify and separate desired products from a solution.

3. What factors influence the selectivity of precipitation reactions?

The selectivity of a precipitation reaction is influenced by factors such as the solubility of the precipitating reagent, the solubility of the desired substance, and the pH and temperature of the solution. Other factors such as the concentration and presence of other substances in the solution can also affect selectivity.

4. What are some limitations of selective precipitation?

One limitation of selective precipitation is that it may not be effective for separating substances with similar properties or solubilities. It also requires careful control of reaction conditions and can be influenced by impurities in the solution.

5. How does selective precipitation differ from other separation methods?

Selective precipitation differs from other separation methods, such as distillation or chromatography, in that it relies on the formation of a solid precipitate to separate substances. This method is typically used for separating substances with different solubilities, while other methods may be more effective for separating substances with different physical or chemical properties.