Two planets of equal density, what do they share?

In summary, the conversation is about two uniform spherical planets with equal density but unequal radius. The question is which quantities are the same for both planets. The conversation discusses the options of escape velocity, acceleration due to gravity at the planet's surface, orbital period of a satellite in a circular orbit just above the planet's surface, and orbital period of a satellite in a circular orbit at a given distance from the planet's center. The conversation concludes that none of these quantities are the same for both planets, as they all rely on either density or radius. The conversation suggests using equations for gravitational attraction and uniform circular motion to solve the questions, but it is noted that these also rely on radius. It is suggested to start by figuring out the mass of
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Consider two uniform spherical planets of equal density but unequal radius. Which of the following quantities is the same for both planets?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't really attempt to solve it because it's not really a "problem."

The escape velocity from the planet's surface.
The acceleration due to gravity at the planet's surface.
The orbital period of a satellite in a circular orbit just above the planet's surface.
The orbital period of a satellite in a circular orbit at a given distance from the planet's center.
None of the above.

I can't find any equations having to do with any of things things that don't rely on either density or radius.

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

Consider two uniform spherical planets of equal density but unequal radius. Which of the following quantities is the same for both planets?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't really attempt to solve it because it's not really a "problem."

The escape velocity from the planet's surface.
The acceleration due to gravity at the planet's surface.
The orbital period of a satellite in a circular orbit just above the planet's surface.
The orbital period of a satellite in a circular orbit at a given distance from the planet's center.
None of the above.

I can't find any equations having to do with any of things things that don't rely on either density or radius.

Try starting with the equation for gravitational attraction, and the equations of uniform circular motion...

Gravitational attraction is out, divide by r squared. So is uniform circular motion.

1MileCrash said:
Gravitational attraction is out, divide by r squared. So is uniform circular motion.

Sorry, I'm not able to parse your response.

Using the equations that I suggested solves most of the questions that you listed...

I don't understand, all of that relies on radius. I am told radius is not equal.

1MileCrash said:
I don't understand, all of that relies on radius. I am told radius is not equal.

Exactly. Write out the equations, and see if you can answer some of the questions.

For example, write out the equations for "acceleration due to gravity at the planet's surface" for two different planets that have the same density but different radii...

Maybe you should start by figuring out the mass of each planet. Once you do that, you should be able to see how to figure the rest out.

1. What is the significance of two planets having equal density?

The density of a planet is a measure of its mass per unit volume. When two planets have equal density, it means that they have a similar composition and are made up of similar materials.

2. Do planets with equal density have the same size?

Not necessarily. Two planets can have the same density but different sizes. This is because density is determined by the mass and volume of a planet, and these can vary independently of each other.

3. How does having equal density affect the gravitational pull between two planets?

The gravitational pull between two planets is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Having equal density does not necessarily mean that the planets have equal masses, so their gravitational pull can still vary.

4. Are there any other similarities between planets with equal density?

Apart from having a similar composition, planets with equal density may also have similar atmospheric conditions, surface features, and geological activities. However, this is not always the case and other factors can also influence these characteristics.

5. Can we determine the density of a planet just by knowing its mass and size?

Yes, the density of a planet can be calculated by dividing its mass by its volume. However, this only provides an average density and does not take into account any variations in density throughout the planet's interior.