Questions about calcium hydroxide as co2 absorber.

In summary, using an oxygen absorber or ice packs to reduce the level of CO2 in your packaging could be an effective solution to your packaging strategy issue.
anthell
I want to improve our company's packaging strategy for live seafood products.

The catch is, the box has to be sealed completely.
This causes problem with the ever increasing level of CO2 and not enough o2.

Now, since the box is tightly packed with the products and other materials for cushion (imagine
pieces of shredded paper or some sort), i am thinking of mixing a little bit of grinned calcium hydroxide powders into the shredded paper cushion.

As far as i can gather, this is not recommended because calcium hydroxide can cause irritation right?

now, can anyone clarify on this? or give alternate solution for my problem?
While we are at it, is there anyway i can provide oxygen in this confined space? The box would not be returned so if the method is very expensive, i wouldn't be able to do so.
Is there simple chemical reaction that is relatively cool/cold (the seafood product loves cold temperature), and safe ?
i would like to experiment if i can provide enough o2...

If however, there is a much simpler method, i would love to hear about that too.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
One potential solution to your packaging strategy issue is to use an oxygen absorber. Oxygen absorbers are small sachets containing iron powder that absorb oxygen and other gasses from the packaging to create an anaerobic environment that helps to extend the shelf life of products stored inside. This could be an effective way to reduce the level of CO2 in your packaging without causing irritation or introducing any hazardous materials.You can also explore the use of modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) for your live seafood products. MAP involves actively changing the atmosphere within a package to one that is optimal for the product, usually by replacing the oxygen with a gas like carbon dioxide or nitrogen. This can help to extend shelf life, retard spoilage, and reduce microbial growth.If you're looking for a simpler solution that doesn't require specialized equipment and is relatively inexpensive, you may want to try adding some ice packs to the packaging. Ice packs can help to keep the product cool and can also help to absorb some of the oxygen within the package.

1. What is calcium hydroxide and how does it work as a CO2 absorber?

Calcium hydroxide, also known as slaked lime, is a chemical compound with the formula Ca(OH)2. It is a white, odorless powder that is commonly used in various industrial and agricultural applications. When exposed to carbon dioxide (CO2), calcium hydroxide reacts to form calcium carbonate (CaCO3) and water (H2O). This reaction effectively removes CO2 from the surrounding environment, making it an effective CO2 absorber.

2. What are the benefits of using calcium hydroxide as a CO2 absorber?

One of the main benefits of using calcium hydroxide as a CO2 absorber is its low cost and easy availability. It is also non-toxic and poses no threat to the environment. Additionally, the reaction between calcium hydroxide and CO2 is fast and efficient, making it a practical choice for large-scale CO2 removal processes.

3. How is calcium hydroxide used as a CO2 absorber in practical applications?

In practical applications, calcium hydroxide is typically used in a process called "carbonation". This involves exposing a source of CO2, such as flue gas from power plants, to a slurry of calcium hydroxide. The CO2 reacts with the calcium hydroxide to form calcium carbonate, which can then be separated and disposed of. This process is commonly used in industries such as cement production, oil and gas refining, and wastewater treatment.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using calcium hydroxide as a CO2 absorber?

While calcium hydroxide is an effective CO2 absorber, it also has some limitations. One major drawback is its low solubility in water, which means that it can only absorb a certain amount of CO2 before becoming saturated. Additionally, the by-product of this reaction, calcium carbonate, can potentially cause scaling and clogging in pipes and equipment if not properly managed.

5. Are there any alternative CO2 absorbers to calcium hydroxide?

Yes, there are several alternative CO2 absorbers that are currently being studied and used in various industries. Some examples include amine-based absorbents, which have a higher CO2 absorption capacity, and biological processes such as algae cultivation, which use photosynthesis to naturally absorb CO2. However, each of these alternatives also has their own limitations and drawbacks, making calcium hydroxide a viable and widely used option for CO2 removal.