DDR 140 pin and 248 pin DIMMs and they look the same

• Thread starter biferi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pin
In summary, the conversation discusses the similarities and differences between DDR 140 pin and 248 pin DIMMs. Both have two notches on the right and left sides and the pins on the bottom have a similar notch. However, there are slight differences in the notch placement between DDR, DDR2, and DDR3 memory. The conversation also mentions using online resources such as Google and Wikipedia to gather information on the length and notch placement of DDR memory.
biferi
I am looking at photos on google for DDR 140 pin and 248 pin DIMMs and they look the same.

The both have two notches on both the right and left sides and the pins on the bottum have the same notch in the same place I think.

Am I right?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The notch at the bottom is not in the same place. A DDR module won't fit in a DDR2 socket.

220px-Desktop_DDR_Memory_Comparison.svg.png

Thanks you for the help but one thing are DDR3 memory 4 inch Long and DDR 1 and 2 memory are 3 inch Long?

Is it really so difficult to use google?

http://www.simmtester.com/page/news/showpubnews.asp?num=168

When I look at your pictures off DDR memory the Notch on the DDR and DDR2 are in the same place.
But on Wiki. it says DDR and DDR2 have the Notch into diferant places.

is the photos you sent me off a websitye?

biferi said:
When I look at your pictures off DDR memory the Notch on the DDR and DDR2 are in the same place.
But on Wiki. it says DDR and DDR2 have the Notch into diferant places.

is the photos you sent me off a websitye?
Look closer at the dashed lines on AlephZero's DDR picture. The notches are not lined up exactly.

I see it now thanks but I did go to Wiki. and look to see if I can see how Long in inch DDr 1 and 2 are but can not find it?

DDR 1 and DDR 2 have not the same notches, it is up to 2-3 milimetars different.

1. What is the difference between DDR 140 pin and 248 pin DIMMs?

The main difference between DDR 140 pin and 248 pin DIMMs is the number of pins they have. DDR 140 pin DIMMs have 140 pins, while DDR 248 pin DIMMs have 248 pins. This difference in pin count is due to the different form factors and layouts of the two types of DIMMs.

2. Can DDR 140 pin and 248 pin DIMMs be used interchangeably?

No, DDR 140 pin and 248 pin DIMMs cannot be used interchangeably. They have different physical dimensions and pin layouts, so they are not compatible with each other. Attempting to use them interchangeably can damage the DIMMs or the motherboard.

3. Are there any other differences between DDR 140 pin and 248 pin DIMMs besides the number of pins?

Yes, there are other differences between DDR 140 pin and 248 pin DIMMs. The 248 pin DIMMs typically have higher data transfer rates, allowing for faster performance. They also have a larger capacity for memory storage, making them suitable for more demanding applications.

4. How can I tell if a DIMM is DDR 140 pin or 248 pin?

The easiest way to tell if a DIMM is DDR 140 pin or 248 pin is to check the number of pins on the bottom edge of the DIMM. DDR 140 pin DIMMs will have 70 pins on each side, while DDR 248 pin DIMMs will have 124 pins on each side.

5. Are there any advantages to using DDR 140 pin DIMMs over 248 pin DIMMs or vice versa?

The choice between using DDR 140 pin or 248 pin DIMMs depends on the specific needs and capabilities of your system. DDR 140 pin DIMMs may be more suitable for basic computing needs, while DDR 248 pin DIMMs are better for high performance and intensive tasks. It is important to make sure that the DIMM is compatible with your motherboard before making a decision.