Physical meaning of a Metre-Second? [or (Kg · s) or (N · s) ]

• Thread starter CF.Gauss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physical
In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning and physical significance of units such as metre-second, kilogram-metre, and Newton-second. These units are used to quantify various physical quantities such as dynamic viscosity and momentum. One example of a possible use for a metre-second unit is in measuring the time and distance for snorting a substance off a moving conveyor belt. Another example could be quantifying an unbalance in a rotating shaft using mass-eccentricity. The conversation also touches on the concept of impulse and how it relates to force and time.
CF.Gauss
We all understand what metres PER second (m/s) physically means... but,
What I was wondering was what does a 'metre-second' actually mean? Or does it have a physical meaning at all!

As an example:

If we take the units for Dynamic viscosity we have:

Kilogram per metre second ( Kg / m.s )

On a side note, in relation to my above example:
The SI physical unit of dynamic viscosity is the pascal-second (Pa·s), which is identical to
Kg. m-1.s-1 = Kg / (m s)

Another example, of a similar type, would be the standard unit of momentum, which is:
Kilogram-metre per second (kg · m/s or kg · m · s-1 ) which in SI units is equal to Newton-second (N · s)

In this example we have both a Kilogram-metre and, in SI, a Newton-second!
I can easily conceptualise the idea of, say, 1 Metre every 1 Second (m/s) but I am finding it hard to conceptualise this concept!

How exactly could one have, in the physical world, a metre-second (m · s), kilogram-metre (Kg · m) or Newton-second (N · s)?

Likes dromarand
Physics news on Phys.org
If you could snort a white powdery substance from the surface of a mirrored conveyer belt moving at a fixed speed using a stationary rolled up piece of currency with a diameter measured in meters and had a certain number of seconds to do so, the "meter second" could be used as a relevant measure.

jbriggs444 said:
If you could snort a white powdery substance from the surface of a mirrored conveyer belt moving at a fixed speed using a stationary rolled up piece of currency with a diameter measured in meters and had a certain number of seconds to do so, the "meter second" could be used as a relevant measure.

:rofl: :rofl:

CF.Gauss said:
We all understand what metres PER second (m/s) physically means... but,
What I was wondering was what does a 'metre-second' actually mean? Or does it have a physical meaning at all!

As an example:

If we take the units for Dynamic viscosity we have:

Kilogram per metre second ( Kg / m.s )

On a side note, in relation to my above example:
The SI physical unit of dynamic viscosity is the pascal-second (Pa·s), which is identical to
Kg. m-1.s-1 = Kg / (m s)

Another example, of a similar type, would be the standard unit of momentum, which is:
Kilogram-metre per second (kg · m/s or kg · m · s-1 ) which in SI units is equal to Newton-second (N · s)

In this example we have both a Kilogram-metre and, in SI, a Newton-second!
I can easily conceptualise the idea of, say, 1 Metre every 1 Second (m/s) but I am finding it hard to conceptualise this concept!

How exactly could one have, in the physical world, a metre-second (m · s), kilogram-metre (Kg · m) or Newton-second (N · s)?

Never used metre-second but for something like the N*s, it would be the force acting over a period of time such that the Impulse = Force*time

For something like kg-m, this could be something like a mass acting a distance. For example, if you have a shaft with an unbalance in it (center of rotation does not coincide to where the mass acts), you quantify the unbalance as a mass-eccentricity.

Mass eccentricity me = mass*distance, usually given in gram-cm or some unit like that.

rock.freak667 said:
Never used metre-second but for something like the N*s, it would be the force acting over a period of time such that the Impulse = Force*time

would the force acting over a period of time not be Newtons per second ( N/s )?

Last edited:
CF.Gauss said:
would the force acting over a period of time not be Newtons per second ( N/s )?

That would give you the rate of change of force. A typical Force-time graph looks like this:

09_03Figure.jpg

The area under the graph gives the impulse which is the same as the change in momentum.

jbriggs444 said:
Very good!
I thought of a tunnel's price (tunnel length multiplied time of realization) but you beat me...

1. What is the physical meaning of a metre-second?

A metre-second is a unit used to measure momentum, which is the product of an object's mass and its velocity. It represents the amount of motion an object has in a particular direction.

2. How is (kg · s) related to the physical meaning of a metre-second?

The unit (kg · s) is used to measure impulse, which is the change in momentum of an object over a period of time. Since momentum is measured in (kg · m/s), multiplying by time (s) gives us the unit (kg · s) for impulse.

3. What does (N · s) mean in relation to the physical meaning of a metre-second?

(N · s) is the unit used to measure the quantity of action, which is a combination of force (N) and time (s). This unit is often used in physics equations to represent the transfer of energy or the change in momentum.

4. How is the physical meaning of a metre-second used in real-world applications?

The concept of metre-second is used in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. It is used to calculate the amount of force needed to move an object, the impact of a collision, and the performance of athletes in sports like running and swimming.

5. Is there a difference between the physical meaning of a metre-second and its mathematical representation?

While the mathematical representation of a metre-second is simply (m/s), its physical meaning goes beyond just the unit of measurement. It represents the fundamental concept of momentum and its importance in understanding the motion of objects in our world.