Can you identify this line graph?

• Thread starter LightFantastic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph Line
In summary, the conversation discusses a test question with four line graphs and four solutions, but only one is provided. The question involves using a number line and determining which equation best fits the given ray. It is suggested to use understanding of domains of functions rather than plugging in values.
LightFantastic
Screenshot_2014-02-12-01-42-27.jpg

I recently took a test with a question like the one I have attached above. There were four line graphs (I've only included one) with four solutions (I've only included two). I do not remember the question. I am hoping someone can identify the problem, and point me in the right direction.

Things I remember,

There were no inequalities (< >).
Every ray had a different starting point (like o or 2) and extending either direction (that is either an arrow in the negative direction or the positive direction).
Every starting point was filled in completely (what you would expect with an inequality that was greater or EQUAL TO).

I did not know what to do. I assume just plug in values for x and check to see if the graph was true or not.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If we consider the number line to be an x axis, then the ray drawn is ##x\geq 0##.
This does not correspond to any of the options below.

Could it be that you are asked which if the relations best fits the number-line?

i.e. a ray drawn ##x\geq 0## could be consistent with ##y=\sqrt{x}##.
Which would mean it is an exercise in your understanding of the domains of functions.

Pluggig in values is one approach but you are better to use your understanding of the way the functions behave ... i.e. does the equation have an assymptote or go undefined anywhere?

1. What is the purpose of a line graph?

A line graph is used to show the relationship between two variables, usually a dependent variable and an independent variable, over a continuous period of time.

2. How do you read a line graph?

To read a line graph, you should start by looking at the y-axis to determine the range of values being represented. Then, follow each point on the line to determine the corresponding value on the y-axis. The points on the line represent the data points and the line itself connects these points to show the trend or pattern of the data.

3. What are the key elements of a line graph?

The key elements of a line graph include the x-axis and y-axis, which represent the two variables being compared, a title to describe the graph, and labeled data points or markers on the line.

4. How do you choose the scale for a line graph?

The scale for a line graph should be chosen based on the range of values being represented. The scale should be evenly spaced and allow for easy reading and interpretation of the data. It is important to choose a scale that accurately reflects the data without exaggerating or minimizing the differences between data points.

5. What type of data is best represented by a line graph?

A line graph is most commonly used to represent continuous data, such as time-series data or data that changes over a continuous period of time. It is also useful for showing trends and patterns in data over time.