Finding the Solution to a Differential Equation with Initial Conditions

In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem involving a mathematical solution given by Mathematica. The problem involved finding a solution for 2x - 6y√(x^2 + 1)dy/dx = 0, with the initial condition y(0) = 3. The conversation then proceeded to show steps taken by the individual to solve the problem, with a final answer of (25+2√(1+x))/√3. The individual also realized a mistake in their initial approach and corrected it.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ok I have a problem here. I have gotten to the unfortunate point where I feel like I'm nearly done, Mathematica has given me a solution that is correct… but of course, I can't figure out how I was suppose to get from point A to B. I currently have:

[tex]2x - 6y\sqrt {x^2 + 1} \frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = 0,y(0) = 3[/tex]

So I did this…

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
2xdx = 6y(x^2 + 1)^{1/2} \frac{{dy}}{{dx}} \\
\int {2x(x^2 + 1)^{ - 1/2} dx = } \int {6ydy} \\
u = x^2 + 1 \\
dx = \frac{{du}}{{2x}} \\
2u^{1/2} = 3y^2 + c \\
2(x^2 + 1)^{1/2} = 3y^2 + c \\
\end{array}[/tex]

Kinda not sure where to go from here…. Or if I did that right in the first place

The correct answer according to Mathematica is...

[tex]\frac{{\sqrt {{\rm 25 + 2}\sqrt {{\rm 1 + x}^{\rm 2} } } }}{{\sqrt 3 }}[/tex]

So yup, put x=0 and 3 pops out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks right, now use your initial condition to solve for the constant of integration.

oh my god, sorry guys, i guess i had one of those "forgot basic algebra" moments. I tried to square root the left side of the equation before bringing c to the left...

1. What is a differential equation with initial conditions?

A differential equation with initial conditions is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its rate of change. It includes one or more initial conditions, which are specific values of the function and its derivatives at a given point.

2. How are initial conditions used in solving differential equations?

Initial conditions are used to find the particular solution of a differential equation. By substituting the given values into the equation, we can determine the constants and obtain a unique solution that satisfies the initial conditions.

3. What do initial conditions tell us about a differential equation?

Initial conditions provide information about the behavior of the function at a specific point. They give us a starting point for solving the differential equation and help us determine the specific solution that satisfies the given conditions.

4. Can a differential equation have multiple sets of initial conditions?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple sets of initial conditions. This means that there can be more than one possible solution that satisfies the equation. However, the solution that satisfies all the given initial conditions is considered the particular solution.

5. How are initial conditions determined in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, initial conditions are determined by measuring or observing the system at a specific point in time. These initial values are then used to create a mathematical model and solve the differential equation to predict the behavior of the system over time.