What is the Private Sector and Its Role in Hiring Physics Degree Recipients?

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
In summary: Its basically a outgrowth of statistical mechanics.On another forum I frequent, a political science major, who's also well versed in economy (naturally) was somewhat jokingly telling me that once I saw no money in physics, and lost romanticism for it, I'd accept an econophysics job. :eek:
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Reading through the March 2006 Physics Today, I saw an article about employment that claimed "the private sector continue to be the dominant employer of physics degree recipients..."

What is this 'private sector'?

Physics news on Phys.org
It just means work that isn't directly controlled by the government.

Last edited:
Mickey said:
It just means work that isn't funded by the government.

but is there an accumulated market place or is it something you'd have to hope to find in the ads or do they go fishing at universities?

Sorry, I edited my post after you posted. Government funds end up going to a lot of places in the private sector, so my post was misleading. The private sector is work that is not directly controlled by the government.

Pythagorean said:
but is there an accumulated market place or is it something you'd have to hope to find in the ads or do they go fishing at universities?

Anyone can start their own business and hire physicists, which would make them a private sector source of employment for physicists. Even physicists can start their own businesses. The private sector is very large, open and fluid, which should allow more creativity and advancement. You can potentially find private work everywhere and in anything.

Last edited:
Mickey said:
It just means work that isn't directly controlled by the government.

No it doesn't. In this context it means 'Non-academia, Non-government'. Engineering industry mostly in the case of physics degrees, although some end up on wall street in econophysics.

I'm sure there are some private academic institutions that offer what can be consisdered private sector work.

Econophysics? Say more!

Last edited:
As its name implies, econophysics is using the principles of physics to study economics. (Many economic systems can be modeled using the principles of statistical physics.)

I thought it might just be a job where physicsists offer their insight into the growth of technology and help investors decide what technology companies are likely to succeed. What you said sounds way cooler, though.

Mickey said:
I thought it might just be a job where physicsists offer their insight into the growth of technology and help investors decide what technology companies are likely to succeed. What you said sounds way cooler, though.

Its basically a outgrowth of statistical mechanics.

On another forum I frequent, a political science major, who's also well versed in economy (naturally) was somewhat jokingly telling me that once I saw no money in physics, and lost romanticism for it, I'd accept an econophysics job. :eek:

1. What is meant by "private sector" hiring?

"Private sector" hiring refers to the process of companies and organizations hiring employees from outside of the government or public sector. These companies are privately owned and operated, and their hiring processes are not subject to government regulations or procedures.

2. What types of companies make up the private sector?

The private sector is made up of a wide range of companies, including small businesses, large corporations, and non-profit organizations. These companies operate in various industries such as technology, healthcare, finance, retail, and more.

3. How does the private sector hiring process differ from the public sector?

In general, the private sector hiring process is less regulated and more flexible compared to the public sector. Companies in the private sector have more control over their hiring decisions and can often move through the process at a faster pace. Additionally, private sector jobs tend to offer more competitive salaries and benefits.

4. What are some common methods used in private sector hiring?

The most common methods used in private sector hiring include job postings, employee referrals, networking, and recruiting through job fairs and career events. Many companies also use online platforms and social media to advertise job openings and connect with potential candidates.

5. What should I expect during a private sector job interview?

Private sector job interviews may vary depending on the company and the position, but they generally involve meeting with one or more hiring managers to discuss your qualifications and experience. Expect to answer questions about your skills, background, and interest in the position, as well as provide examples of how you have handled relevant situations in the past. It is also common for companies to conduct multiple rounds of interviews, including phone or video interviews before an in-person meeting.