Hagfish slime as an option to plastics and other materials?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary, the researcher believes that the slime produced by the hagfish is tougher and more elastic than human slime, and that this slime could be used in a variety of ways, such as as a replacement for artificial materials in products.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So thinks the researcher in the second link.

Hagfish are primitive, eel-like fish that are nearly blind and lack jaws or true vertebrae, but they have the unnerving capability of producing copious amounts of slime when disturbed...

... Unlike the mucous produced by the membranes of humans and other animals, which become more rigid, viscous gels at and below ambient body temperatures, the researchers (Gavin Braithwaite, 617-629-4400, gavin@campoly.com; Douglas Fudge, dfudge@interchange.ubc.ca) found that Hagfish slime is much less elastic, even at high concentrations, than its human counterpart.

In addition, over the ranges of temperatures encountered by the hagfish, the gel strength is relatively temperature independent. The insensitivity to temperature perhaps ensures that slime is an effective defense in a variety of conditions. In addition, artificial materials that mimic Hagfish slime chemistry might make good space-filling gels.

http://www.aip.org/enews/physnews/2003/split/660-3.html

Hagfish slime is unlike other slimy secretions in that it is reinforced with very fine fibres. Our data show that these fibres lend tensile strength and toughness to the slime. Subsequent research will investigate the mechanical properties of the mucus component of the slime, as well as the properties of naturally-produced slime cocoons.

http://www.zoology.ubc.ca/labs/biomaterials/slime.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I guess that could lead to questions such as "Would you like your groceries in paper or hagfish slime?" It would be interesting to note the people's reactions.

I sure know that I'll be the first to have my colon lined with hagfish!

Originally posted by motai
I guess that could lead to questions such as "Would you like your groceries in paper or hagfish slime?" It would be interesting to note the people's reactions.

I doubt people will want to put hagfish slime in their hair... unless we are already doing it and arent being told

Anyone willing to eat a hotdog should be willing to do most anything with hagfish slime.

i think i have been put off fast food for life, thanks a lot Ivan

1. How is hagfish slime being used as an alternative to plastic?

Hagfish slime contains a protein called "thread," which can be used to create a strong, flexible material. This material is being studied as a potential replacement for plastic in various products such as packaging materials, clothing, and even medical devices.

2. Is hagfish slime environmentally friendly?

Yes, hagfish slime is considered to be an environmentally friendly option compared to plastic. It is biodegradable and does not release harmful chemicals into the environment. Additionally, hagfish are a sustainable source as they can be farmed rather than harvested from the wild.

3. How does hagfish slime compare to traditional materials in terms of strength?

Hagfish slime is incredibly strong and can be stretched up to 10 times its original length without breaking. This makes it comparable to synthetic materials such as nylon and polyester. However, more research is needed to fully understand its strength and durability in different applications.

4. Are there any limitations to using hagfish slime as a material?

One limitation is the production process. Currently, it is difficult and costly to extract the thread protein from hagfish slime. Additionally, there may be concerns about the potential for allergic reactions in individuals who come into contact with the material.

5. What are the potential benefits of using hagfish slime as a material?

Aside from being environmentally friendly, hagfish slime has the potential to be a versatile and multi-functional material. It can be used for various applications such as adhesives, coatings, and even as a food source for fish. It also has the potential to reduce our reliance on non-renewable resources used in the production of plastics.

Back