Journal Club: Papers-Resources

• Medical
  • Thread starter neurocomp2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Journal
In summary, the conversation discusses the usability of certain papers for a Journal Club, with a member willing to introduce one of the papers for the first week of September. The mentioned papers cover topics such as spatial cognition, hippocampal coding and neurogenesis, language acquisition, auditory processing, and neural network models. It is decided that one of the papers will be selected for discussion and the conversation ends with gratitude for starting up the Journal Club again.
Biology news on Phys.org
neurocomp2003 said:
http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/Psychology/sb.html

Are these considered usable papers for teh Journal Club? The Links

I would think the one paper, carefully presented, would make an excellent journal club topic. This would be grand, our club has been rather inactive lately.

k, so these would be considered papers we could use in the Journal Club? cool

I'd be willing to introduce one of the following papers for the first week of sept.

[1] Under Spatial Cognition Section, Paper 1
Byrne, P. and Becker, S. (2004), Modelling mental navigation in scenes with
multiple objects. Neural Computation 16(9):1851-1872. PDF document

[2] Under Hippocampal Coding & Neurogensis, Paper 1
a.. Becker, S. (2005) "A computational principle for hippocampal learning
and neurogenesis". Hippocampus 15(6):722-738. (link to pdf)

[3] Under Langauge Section, Paper1
a.. Howell, S. R., Jankowicz, D., and Becker, S. (2005), A Model of Grounded
Langauge Acquisition: Sensorimotor Features Improve Grammar Learning.
Journal of Memory and Langauge 53(2):258-276, PDF document

[4] Under Auditory Section Paper 3
Bondy, J., Becker, S., Bruce, I., Trainor, L. and Haykin. S. (2004). A
novel signal-processing strategy for hearing-aid design: NeuroCompensation.
Signal Processing 84(7):1239-1253. PDF document

[5] Under Neural Network Models, Paper 3
a.. Becker, S. (2005), Modelling the mind: From circuits to systems. Chapter
2 in New Directions in Statistical Signal Processing: From systems to brain.
Simon Haykin, Jose C. Principe, Terrence J. Sejnowski and John McWhirter
(editors), MIT Press. PDF document, PDF References

Should I run a poll? or select on myself.

Last edited:
It'll be great to get the journal club up and running again! Please, go ahead and pick one yourself. The only one in that list that I'd advise against choosing would be the last, only because it appears to be a book chapter rather than a research article. I think an original research article would be easier to discuss here than a chapter that would be a review of literature.

Thanks for volunteering to start it up again! :smile:

1. What is a journal club?

A journal club is an organized group of scientists or researchers who come together to discuss and critically evaluate the latest research papers in their field. It is a common practice in academia and can also be found in industry settings.

2. How does a journal club typically work?

A journal club usually meets regularly, either weekly or bi-weekly, and each meeting is focused on analyzing and discussing one or more research papers. The group may have a designated leader who chooses the papers to be discussed and guides the discussions, or the responsibility may rotate among members.

3. What are the benefits of participating in a journal club?

Participating in a journal club can have several benefits for scientists. It allows them to stay updated on the latest research in their field, improve their critical thinking skills, and engage in scientific discussions with their peers. It can also help in developing presentation and communication skills and foster collaborations among members.

4. How do you choose papers for a journal club?

The papers chosen for a journal club are usually relevant to the research interests of the group members or the current research trends in the field. They may be selected based on their impact, novelty, or controversial findings. Some journal clubs also have a theme for each meeting, and papers related to that theme are chosen.

5. Can anyone join a journal club?

Journal clubs are typically open to all scientists and researchers who are interested in the selected papers and are willing to actively participate in the discussions. However, some journal clubs may have limited spots or may be exclusive to members of a particular research group or institution.