Basic Thermodynamics problem I can't see.

In summary: So I just subtract atmospheric pressure from absolute pressure, then multiply that by area? Thats not getting the answer I need ao I think I am still doinf it wrong.So I just subtract atmospheric pressure from absolute pressure, then multiply that by area? Thats not getting the answer I need ao I think I am still doinf it wrong.Subtract atmospheric pressure from the absolute pressure that you are trying to achieve. That is the pressure that must come from the weight. If you multiply that by the piston area, you will get the Force that the piston must provide: weight not mass. Weight is mass x g:P_{abs} - P_{atm} = P_{pist} = mg/
saucebandit
Ive just started thermo after being out of the physics game for awhile. The professor is less than stellar and bascially we have to learn out of the book. The problem is easy, I know, but I just can't figure it out. Its as follows:
Cylinder containing gas has piston with cross-sectional area of .029m^2. Atomospheric pressure is .1035MPa and accel. due to gravity is 30.1ft/s^2. To produce absolute pressure of .1517MPa, what mass (kg) of piston is required?
The equation I believe I need to use is
Pabs= (Mp*g) + Patm* Ap
The only problem is I wrote it down quickly and I am not sure its correct, and cannot find it in the book, also can't figure out where area comes into play. Can anyone confirm this eqaution?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
saucebandit said:
Ive just started thermo after being out of the physics game for awhile. The professor is less than stellar and bascially we have to learn out of the book. The problem is easy, I know, but I just can't figure it out. Its as follows:
Cylinder containing gas has piston with cross-sectional area of .029m^2. Atomospheric pressure is .1035MPa and accel. due to gravity is 30.1ft/s^2. To produce absolute pressure of .1517MPa, what mass (kg) of piston is required?
The equation I believe I need to use is
Pabs= (Mp*g) + Patm* Ap
The only problem is I wrote it down quickly and I am not sure its correct, and cannot find it in the book, also can't figure out where area comes into play. Can anyone confirm this eqaution?
Thanks
You are confusing force and pressure. Of course, P = F/A. The weight of the piston (force) divided by the piston area will give you the pressure due to the piston weight. Add the atmospheric pressure and you will have the pressure in the cylinder. You don't need to know the density of air. Also, g should be 32.1 f/sec^2.

AM

So I just subtract atmospheric pressure from absolute pressure, then multiply that by area? Thats not getting the answer I need ao I think I am still doinf it wrong.

saucebandit said:
So I just subtract atmospheric pressure from absolute pressure, then multiply that by area? Thats not getting the answer I need ao I think I am still doinf it wrong.
Subtract atmospheric pressure from the absolute pressure that you are trying to achieve. That is the pressure that must come from the weight. If you multiply that by the piston area, you will get the Force that the piston must provide: weight not mass. Weight is mass x g:

[tex]P_{abs} - P_{atm} = P_{pist} = mg/A[/tex]

AM

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, work, energy, and temperature, and how these concepts apply to physical systems.

2. What is a basic thermodynamics problem?

A basic thermodynamics problem involves using the laws of thermodynamics to analyze and understand the behavior of a physical system, such as a gas or a liquid, in terms of changes in temperature, pressure, and energy.

3. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy (disorder) of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a pure, perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

4. How do I approach a basic thermodynamics problem?

To solve a basic thermodynamics problem, you should first identify the system and its boundaries, and then apply the appropriate laws and equations to analyze the changes in temperature, pressure, and energy. It is also important to clearly define any assumptions made and to use consistent units throughout the problem.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications, such as in the design of engines, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, power plants, and chemical production processes. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as meteorology, astrophysics, and materials science.