Insulation thickness calculation

In summary, Mrinali advised looking into professional insulation companies to properly calculate the thickness of insulation needed. He recommended conducting a simple heat transfer to get a rough idea of what is needed before getting too deep into the calculations.
mrinalkantibhaduri
hi friends,
I'm an engineer, & recently I face a problem to calculate the thickness of the insulating material in the inlet gas duct of Waste heat recovery type boiler.
Actually, we are executing a project, that the waste coke oven gas is used for generating steam.
for this we introduce a gas duct by which the gas entered into the boiler the temperature of the gas is 1100 degree centigrade. so the duct should be properly insulated. Now how can I select the insulation thickness? & how many layers of insulating materials should be provided? & what type of materials are to be selected?

Please help me about this topic?

Mrinal

Engineering news on Phys.org
i didn't quite understand u where insulating what from what, but ur dealing with high temperatures here, and i think u should research professional companies, as for the calculations, after u choose the material u want u would be able to get the thermal conductivity constant from it and u can fix the temperature of the other side of the insulation (the temp u want) then u would be able to calculate the thickness of the material.

Mrinal,
I would recommend looking at a simple conductive heat transfer first to get a rough idea of what you are looking at. To really know anything you need to define what exactly you mean by "properly insulated." As an engineer you know that statements like that are not usefull at all. You need to establish what your design criteria actually is. Once you do the basics then you can go about refining your calculations by adding things like convection and radiation.

In regards to high temperature insulation, there are plenty of wraps and materials that can handle that temperature. You could look into spray on insulation as well. A 2 second search on google found this as the first hit:

http://www.sandsinsulation.com/

1. What is insulation thickness calculation and why is it important?

Insulation thickness calculation is the process of determining the optimal thickness of insulation material to use in a building or structure. Insulation is important because it helps to control the flow of heat, reduce energy consumption, and maintain a comfortable temperature inside the building.

2. How is insulation thickness calculated?

Insulation thickness is calculated by considering factors such as the type of insulation material, the desired thermal resistance, and the climate conditions of the building's location. This calculation can be done using various formulas or through software programs specifically designed for insulation calculations.

3. What are the different types of insulation materials used in thickness calculation?

There are various types of insulation materials used in thickness calculation, including fiberglass, cellulose, foam, and mineral wool. Each material has its own unique properties and is suitable for different building structures and climates.

4. How does insulation thickness affect energy efficiency?

The thicker the insulation, the higher its thermal resistance, which means it can better prevent heat transfer. This leads to improved energy efficiency and reduced energy consumption in the building. Insulation thickness also plays a crucial role in maintaining a consistent and comfortable temperature inside the building.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of insulation thickness calculation?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of insulation thickness calculation, such as the quality of installation, air leakage, and thermal bridging (heat transfer through building materials). It is important to consider these factors and make adjustments in the calculation to ensure the most accurate results.