Need Help with Newton's 1st and 2nd Laws

• Thread starter kenau_reveas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, the question is about Newton's 1st and 2nd laws and how they apply to an object moving at a constant velocity of 256 m/s in different scenarios where two or three forces are applied. The key is to determine if it is possible for the forces to cancel each other out, meaning there is a net force of 0, which will result in the object maintaining a constant velocity. The concept of a free body diagram is also mentioned as a tool to help solve these types of problems.
kenau_reveas
Need Help with "Newton's 1st and 2nd Laws"

In an inertial frame of reference, a series of experiments is conducted. In each experiment, two or three forces are applied to an object. The magnitudes of these forces are given. No other forces are acting on the object. In which cases may the object possibly move at a constant velocity of 256\;{\rm m/s}?

The forces applied are as follows:

1. 2 N; 2 N
2. 200 N; 200 N
3. 200 N; 201 N
4. 2 N; 2 N; 4 N
5. 2 N; 2 N; 2 N
6. 2 N; 2 N; 3 N
7. 2 N; 2 N; 5 N
8. 200 N; 200 N; 5 N

please help me out here.

Physics news on Phys.org
FBD FBD...sum up all the forces and equate to 0 since constant velocity

FDB means options F, D, and B? that's it.i am not able to understand the question. can you please simplify so that i can understand and slove smiliar kind of questions in future.

The thing to figure out in each case is whether it is possible for the forces to be oriented in such a way that they add to zero. (Here's an example: If two forces act on an object, one 10 N the other 100 N, can they possibly cancel each other? No.)

FBD=free body diagram where u draw all the forces acting on the object.alrite suppose there is an upward force 100N and a downward force 200N and the object is moving at constant speed. so taking down as negative, it will be( summation force)100-200=m(0)..so there is a net force of 100N downward

i really don't know how to do it..i would really appreciate if anyone can help me with the answer..

1. What is Newton's First Law?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in constant motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What is the significance of Newton's First Law?

Newton's First Law is significant because it explains the concept of inertia, which is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. It also serves as the basis for understanding the other two laws of motion.

3. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force on an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate under the same force.

4. How is Newton's Second Law applied in real-life situations?

Newton's Second Law can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the force needed to move an object, determining the acceleration of a car based on its mass and the force of its engine, and predicting the trajectory of a projectile.

5. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to Newton's Second Law?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. In Newton's Second Law, mass is used to calculate the acceleration of an object, while weight is used to calculate the force of gravity acting on an object.